X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• combining htseq-count files into one

Hi.
    I have 12 htseq-count result files.
    When I tried to combine them with Excel, I found that there were some missing rows in one file that were present in another.
    For example,
    <file1>
    a1 3
    a2 4
    a3 5
    a4 3

<file2>
    a1 4
    a3 6
    a4 5

Hot can I combine without loss of data like following?
    <file 1+2>
    a1 3 4
    a2 4 N/A
    a3 5 6
    a4 3 6

Thank you!

1. If there are missing rows, then you have a prime example for a data manipulation that is trivial in any statistics or scripting language but really complicated in Excel. Time to learn some scripting.

2. There shouldn't be any missing rows, because htseq-count outputs a count for each gene that is mentioned with an exon line in the GTF file, no matter whether reads map to it or not. Something went wrong. Maybe you used different annotation files?

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      I'm actually learning python now, but it is difficult learn it since no one around me is familiar with scripting.
      Anyway, I ran htseq-count with SAM and GTF files for each sample.
      Following is the command I used for it.
      htseq-count -m intersection-strict -s no -i gene_naem I1.sam /home/bk/Desktop/bosTaurus_2013/GTF/I1_transcripts.gtf > I1_counts.txt
      I have data from 12 different samples, so I changed the file names according to the sample names.

Comment

Are these de novo assemblies or did you make a gtf file for each sample using Cufflinks? Because it looks like you are using a gtf file specific to the sample.

In that case, each gtf will have slightly different lists of transcripts. In order to have htseq-count give the same output for each sample, you need to use the same gtf file for all of them.

Comment

I didn't make GTF files. They are from a company we paid for sequencing.
          I know the company used Cufflinks for expression estimation.

They didn't really explain me about those files. Besides I don't have much knowledge in the bioinfo. area, so everything is confusing for me.

So what should I do to get the same GTF file

Sorry for my disorganized question. English is not my primary language, so please understand...

Comment

Have a look at the cuffmerge command that comes with cufflinks.

Comment

Not a problem. Use cuffmerge to merge all the GTF files into a into a single GTF and then use htseq-count using the merged GTF file.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses