Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• library concentrations at various levels (RNA seq)

Hi,

I am interested in some library preparation details of RNA seq.
    Lets assume you deal with GA or HISeq.

I am just interested in the following numbers:

(1) Input Material:
    Usually people take 0.1 - 4 ug of total RNA (or, respectively, 100 ng of mRNA). So of what concentration in which volume are we talking about?

(2) Library concentration after amplification (so after purification, fragmentation, first/second strand synthesis, ligation of adapters):
    10nM in 10uL .
    Would this be a good average estimate?

(3) Library concentration after denaturation and dilution - so when loading it on the flowcell:
    7pM in 120uL / lane.
    Is this correct?

I would be especially interested in some numbers regarding the TrueSeqProtocol from Illumina.

Thanks a lot in advance,
    tefina

Originally posted by Tefina View Post
    Hi,

I am interested in some library preparation details of RNA seq.
    Lets assume you deal with GA or HISeq.

I am just interested in the following numbers:

(1) Input Material:
    Usually people take 0.1 - 4 ug of total RNA (or, respectively, 100 ng of mRNA). So of what concentration in which volume are we talking about?
    This is in the TruSeq protocol. You can start with 0.1-4µg of total RNA (in 50µL water) or 100ng of mRNA (in <5µL ). We generally start with total RNA towards the top of that range because most of the time RNA isn't limiting, however we produce buckets of library, so we think we could reduce the input if needed.

(2) Library concentration after amplification (so after purification, fragmentation, first/second strand synthesis, ligation of adapters):
    10nM in 10uL.

Would this be a good average estimate?
    As I said before we generate a large amount of library (concentration is typically > 200nM in about 30µL. This is diluted down to 10nM for storage.

(3) Library concentration after denaturation and dilution - so when loading it on the flowcell:
    7pM in 120uL / lane.
    Is this correct?

I would be especially interested in some numbers regarding the TrueSeqProtocol from Illumina.
    We load 12pM for TruSeq libraries on our GAIIx, but how much you load depends on what works for you and also depends on how you quantify your library.

Comment

can you also tell me something about the concentration of the total RNA in the beginning? So assuming that each mRNA has an average length, can you tell me more or less the concentration (nM) in this 50µL?

Comment

can you also tell me something about the concentration of the total RNA in the beginning? So assuming that each mRNA has an average length, can you tell me more or less the concentration (nM) in this 50µL?
        Rule of thumb: 1 ug of 1kb DNA is ~ 1 trilllion (10^12) molecules.

Twice that for single stranded molecules.

But, remember that total RNA is largely rRNA. I would guess the Illumina TruSeq RNA prep libraries yield about 1% polyA+ RNA. Maybe 10 ng per 1 ug of input. So, you are down to about 20 billion molecules.

Then you fragment those molecules. This causes an increase in the number of fragments, but also a lot of those fragments are lost during purification.

Call it a wash. Still at around 20 billion molecules. Then conversion to cDNA. You will lose at least half. 10 billion.

So that is your library really. Sure you will almost certainly do enrichment amplification -- this can increase the number of molecules by >1000x.

--
        Phillip

Comment

RNA's vary in length so much that it's pointless to estimate a molarity. If you really wanted to, I guess you could do a back of an envelope calculation

According to Ambion M.W. of ssRNA = (# nucleotides x 320.5) + 159.0

Number of moles = Mass (g) / Molecular Weight
          Concentration (M) = Number of Moles / Litre

Of which about 2% will be mRNA.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyBrooks View Post

Of which about 2% will be mRNA.
            But depending on the organism and the tissue it might be 0.01% or 10%.

--
            Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
              But depending on the organism and the tissue it might be 0.01% or 10%.

--
              Phillip
              I said it was pointless

Comment

ok, I see your point,
                thanks in any case!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses