Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Subsystem for Linux

New job, desk includes a workstation with windows10. I've got WSL running for silly things like small qiime jobs, but wondering if anyone else is doing anything with WSL asides from replacing PuTTy as their client for SSHing into cluster?

AFAIK, as long as you have enough memory everything that works on a normal ubuntu machine should work on WSL as well (assuming you installed ubuntu).

Comment

At the moment I didn't install Linux on my laptop. I work only with WSL.

You can do almost everything, the only problem is the I/O speed, which is tragically slower in WSL compared to a "traditional" Linux installation.

Comment

Originally posted by ctseto View Post
        New job, desk includes a workstation with windows10. I've got WSL running for silly things like small qiime jobs, but wondering if anyone else is doing anything with WSL asides from replacing PuTTy as their client for SSHing into cluster?
        How did you get QIIME working? Is it version 1 or 2?

Comment

Originally posted by Cistron View Post
          How did you get QIIME working? Is it version 1 or 2?
          In WSL, apt-get install qiime is QIIME 1.9.0
          I installed miniconda, then used the linux tutorial from the qiime2.org page.
          You need Xming on your Win10 machine and a reasonably new version of Win10 (1803?). You'll want to use firefox on ubuntu. I think you need ubuntu-desktop and/or xubuntu-desktop; I'll have to find time for clean installs.

I got moving pictures to work with qiime view using ubuntu firefox, and it's a bit slow.

I may look into containers for fun, but...

Comment

Originally posted by ctseto View Post
            In WSL, apt-get install qiime is QIIME 1.9.0
            I installed miniconda, then used the linux tutorial from the qiime2.org page.
            You need Xming on your Win10 machine and a reasonably new version of Win10 (1803?). You'll want to use firefox on ubuntu. I think you need ubuntu-desktop and/or xubuntu-desktop; I'll have to find time for clean installs.

I got moving pictures to work with qiime view using ubuntu firefox, and it's a bit slow.

I may look into containers for fun, but...
            huh! I had no idea there was an actual debian package for QIIME available. I tried the conda install route, but USEARCH keeps throwing a core dump error when I test the installation.

Ok. I can only find version 1.8 through apt-search, but maybe that will do. Going through the installation now. Let's see how it goes.

Comment

Putty is a bit lame these days.

Does mobaxterm work on it ?

The ultimate toolbox for remote computing - includes X server, enhanced SSH client and much more!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
              • seqadmin
                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
              0 responses