Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith-Waterman against BLAST - Need Biologists' help!

Hi to everyone,
    I'm new to the forum and new to sequence alingment as well. I'm working on a FPGA hardware accelerated custom solution for exact local alignment.

Since I'm not a biologist, I found some difficulties in finding a "real" examples of two biological sequences where BLAST is missing relevant homologies due to its heuristical limits. Better if this example is a "resounding" one and that would be otherwise found using SW.

Do you know some example? I would really appreciate your help, since you can imagine how difficult can be for a non-biologist to find such information.

Thanks in advace. If I'have not been clear or you need more information, please let me know.

Alessio

I'm a bit surprised this ground is being plowed yet again; there were several commercial products in this space about 15 years ago (TimeLogic, Compugen & Paracel), but as microprocessors kept ramping up these companies faded or mutated away from the market.

But, it sounds like a fun project. I don't know of good examples off-hand, but one way to find them would be to use SCOP as ground truth for homology, and then run a bunch of BLAST searches to identify cases in which BLAST can't find a plausible alignment between two members of the same SCOP family -- then run SW to identify which of those pairing SW can pick up.

You might also find this paper useful.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply!!!
      I did a research in literature about SW-BLAST comparison and I found many articles, including the good one you mentioned (thanx).

I was wandering if there were some "famous" example or something one has found in his works, let's see if anyone from the forum have some additional information or advice.

Using SCOP is a good idea anyway, maybe more realizable than I thought when first reading those article (I think it will take a little time, at least for me).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses