No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aligning to a an ambiguous (IUPAC) reference in Mosaik

Hi all,

We are currently trying to design a pipeline for viral sequencing with Illumina. For the alignment, we were considering using Mosaik with an ambiguous reference sequence. This sequence is constructed from 80 downloaded sequences. We also constructed an unambiguous sequence from the same data.

Funnily enough, aligning with respect to the unambiguous reference sequence gave us decent alignment stats (% of reads mapped were in the 80-98 range), whereas alignment percentages using an ambiguous reference sequence were in the 14-41% range.

We are currently using the following parameters: -hs 11 -mmp 0.08. This is all done in Mosaik v2.1.73.

Does anyone know whether Mosaik v2 still supports IUPAC? Should we be using some flag that I'm unaware of? Is the hashsize too big to deal with IUPAC coded references? Any pointers are welcome. It's not that we're not happy with the current results -- we just want to *know...

Thanks for your help,

Elise

Elise,

Did you ever find an answer to this question I am currently using Mosaik 2.2.26 and not getting good results either.

Thanks for any help,
    Leanne

Comment

Hey Leanne,

Nope... I contacted the author and she said
      "The first step of MOSAIK is to find hashes and the default parameters cannot handle hashes with IUPAC. It may be the reason why the aligned rate for IUPAC references is very low."

However, I never found out which non-default parameter should be turned on in order to use the IUPACs. You can try to contact them yourself?

We moved on to Bowtie2 and are using multiple rounds of alignment in which we alter the reference sequence.

Elise

Comment

Elise,
        Ok thanks for getting back to me. I contacted the author as well but I haven't heard back.

Thanks
        Leanne

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses