No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [general question]gatk, dindel, IGV

Hi all!
    I'm newbie to analyzing NGS data and I'm not a biologist.

I'm very confused, and I have some question and hope that you can give me simple answer:

1th
    Dindel is the GATK algorithm for indel calling ? If not, what do GATK use for indel calling and what is GATK algorithm for indel calling ?

2th:
    IGV is a genomic viewer, that can show how shortreads alignment to reference genome, e.g.:

IGV use samtools to do counting, and other analysis on NGS data ?
    if not: are samtools and IGV two tool indipendent ?

Sorry for my silly question...

1: Dindel is a standalone software to call indels: http://www.sanger.ac.uk/resources/software/dindel/. GATK uses UnifiedGenotyper to call indels (as well as SNPs).

2:IGV does not use Samtools afaik. You need to specify 'other analysis'. If you are here you should know at least what analysis you need to do.

Comment

Yeah, you're confused alright, but we're here to help ;-)

1) Dindel and GATK are separate things -- As far as I know Dindel is a single tool focused on calling indels, whereas GATK is a toolbox with many tools including some that do indel calling.

You can find details on GATK tools here: http://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk/guide/

In a nutshell, GATK has two separate tools to call indels: UnifiedGenotyper and HaplotypeCaller. HaplotypeCaller is newer and more sensitive for indels than UnifiedGenotyper. Eventually it will replace UG completely.

2) IGV is mainly a genome viewer. IGV is developed at the same place as GATK (Broad Institute) so they work well together. I work in the group that develops GATK, and we use IGV all the time to look at the sequence data we work with.

Samtools is a different toolbox, developed elsewhere. It includes many useful tools, some of which we use to complement the GATK. It also includes a variant caller called mpileup. The alogrithms used by mpileup and by GATK's UnifiedGenotyper are similar because Heng Li, the author of mpileup, helped with the original design of the UGs algorithm, if I remember correctly.

Since you are new to NGS analysis, I recommend you watch the introduction videos we provide here:

I hope that will help you understand better.

If you decide to work with GATK, feel free to ask questions in our support forum here:

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by bruce01 View Post
        1: Dindel is a standalone software to call indels: http://www.sanger.ac.uk/resources/software/dindel/. GATK uses UnifiedGenotyper to call indels (as well as SNPs).

2:IGV does not use Samtools afaik. You need to specify 'other analysis'. If you are here you should know at least what analysis you need to do.
        for other analysis I mean always indel calling.
        Do IGV do indel calling ?

About GATK why is it possible to use DINDEL with -glm option ?

thanks for help!

Comment

No, IGV does not do indel calling.

It is no longer possible to use -glm DINDEL with newer versions of GATK. Much older versions did have that mode because the original indel calling model was inspired by the standalone tool DINDEL. But now the model is completely different.

You should really use the latest version of GATK in order to get quality results for indel calling.

Comment

Originally posted by vdauwera View Post
            Yeah, you're confused alright, but we're here to help ;-)

1) Dindel and GATK are separate things -- As far as I know Dindel is a single tool focused on calling indels, whereas GATK is a toolbox with many tools including some that do indel calling.

You can find details on GATK tools here: http://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk/guide/

In a nutshell, GATK has two separate tools to call indels: UnifiedGenotyper and HaplotypeCaller. HaplotypeCaller is newer and more sensitive for indels than UnifiedGenotyper. Eventually it will replace UG completely.

2) IGV is mainly a genome viewer. IGV is developed at the same place as GATK (Broad Institute) so they work well together. I work in the group that develops GATK, and we use IGV all the time to look at the sequence data we work with.

Samtools is a different toolbox, developed elsewhere. It includes many useful tools, some of which we use to complement the GATK. It also includes a variant caller called mpileup. The alogrithms used by mpileup and by GATK's UnifiedGenotyper are similar because Heng Li, the author of mpileup, helped with the original design of the UGs algorithm, if I remember correctly.

Since you are new to NGS analysis, I recommend you watch the introduction videos we provide here:

I hope that will help you understand better.

If you decide to work with GATK, feel free to ask questions in our support forum here:

Good luck!
            thank you very very much, I'm confused less!

I actually use IGV to see alignment of my BAM file to reference genome hg19.
            To indel calling, I visualize manually each entire chromosome.

I'm finding a way in IGV to find the indel position for entire my bam file and for all chromosome not manually. Is it possible in IGV or is it necessary to use tool as: gatk, samtools ?

Last question: what's the role of igvtools ?

Comment

thank you very very much, I'm confused less!

I actually use IGV to see alignment of my BAM file to reference genome hg19.
              To indel calling, I visualize manually each entire chromosome.

I'm finding a way in IGV to find the indel position for entire my bam file and for all chromosome not manually. Is it possible in IGV or is it necessary to use tool as: gatk, samtools ?

Last question: what's the role of igvtools ?

Comment

I strongly suggest you use a dedicated indel calling tool rather than try to identify indels manually. As far as I know GATK's HaplotypeCaller gives the best results for indels, but others may have different opinions (since I work on GATK, I may be biased).

IGVtools are utilities that can convert some formats or count some basic statistics on your dataset. They are useful for these tasks but are not a replacement for variant calling tools.

Comment

ok! I understand.

in your opinion, in case of pooled samples, which tools are the best ?
                  I'm finding an article with compared to evaluate this.

Comment

HaplotypeCaller cannot handle pooled samples yet, so for now you should use UnifiedGenotyper.

Comment

just some questions :
                      dindel is only for indel or also for snp ?

is there a reference/publication that compare different snp calling algorithms ?
                      Last edited by sirmark; 03-13-2013, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses