Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to estimate total genetic diversity from a sequenced population?

Hi all,

I am analyzing whole-population sequencing data of E. coli that has undergone experimental evolution in different environmental conditions --- the goal is determine if one condition produces more genetic diversity than the other.

I initially ran breseq to identify SNPs/indels/etc. in each sample; however, there were no obvious differences in the number, frequency, or type of mutations between samples. However, this analysis is only sensitive to relatively high-frequency mutations (>5%), and the genetic diversity we're looking for may very well be manifested in lots of low-frequency alleles.

For that reason, and since we moreover don't care about identifying specific mutations anyway, I'm wondering if I can estimate total genetic diversity just from the overall number of mismatches in each sample's alignment. Of course the vast majority of these mismatches are noise from the sequencing instrument, but if there are enough real mismatches on top of the noise, perhaps I can detect a statistically significant difference in them between my samples.

Is this a reasonable thing to do, or does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!

Michael

If you're very stringent - only allow properly-paired reads with a mapq of at least X, and ignore snps and indels within Y bp of either end of the read and involving bases with at least a QV of Z - and possibly, any mutation seen only once (which will impact your rate of discover of mutations that are non-viable, but should not have too much effect on the rates of evolutionarily propagated mutations) - and, ideally, sequence everything multiplexed together in the same run(s) of the same instrument, with the same library-prep -

Then, I think, you should probably get a good signal-to-noise ratio.

Studying the ratio of synonymous to nonsynonymous SNPs might also be enlightening. I would expect the high-mutation-rate environments to have a lower ratio. If that's not distinguishable from noise (or does not correlate with the overall mutation rates), then perhaps there's not enough signal to be useful.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, Brian! I think that will definitely help to get a more reliable sample of mismatches to compare.

The ratio of synonymous to nonsynonymous mutations would also definitely be useful here, but unfortunately there just aren't enough to use --- the time scale is only ~1000 generations and the mutation rate isn't that high.

Michael

Comment

My academic lab does overlapping paired-end sequencing with multiple barcodes per sample in order to call genetic variants with allele frequencies well below 1% with no false positives. The overlapped reads remove sequencing errors and the different barcodes identify PCR errors. Can you start over or are you stuck with the sequencing data you've already generated?
        Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, SNPsaurus. This is only a small part of a larger project so I'm probably stuck with the sequencing they gave me, but I'll keep this idea in mind for the future. Is this anything like duplex sequencing, e.g., http://www.pnas.org/content/109/36/14508?

Michael

Comment

It's more like ORP http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/14/96 but we add extra barcodes to filter PCR dups.
            Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses