SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how much of the MHC is represented in the reference genome? splaisan General 4 01-12-2014 04:35 AM
over-represented mitochondrial sequences in the RNA-seq data BhariD Bioinformatics 2 07-16-2013 07:27 AM
sequence set motifs over-represented analysis xfh Bioinformatics 0 03-24-2013 11:54 PM
Targeted Genome Assembly for region poorly represented in reference genome? gumbos Bioinformatics 1 01-09-2012 04:01 PM

Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 AM   #1
starbug16

Default Over-represented sequences

Hi,

I have one lane (~360 million reads) of Illumina transcriptome data which I am trying to assemble. Having only a tiny server, I am attempting to reduce this dataset with digital normalization. However, before doing this, I have run fastqc which flags up some over-represented sequences. When I BLAST these, I get matches to my organism's 16S, 18S and 28S rRNA genes.

As a bit of a beginner, I was wondering whether this was normal and whether I need to worry or do anything about this?

Any help or advice very much appreciated!!
starbug16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:07 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

That's completely normal, don't give it a second thought.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:09 AM   #3
mastal

It's quite normal, especially if the library prep was done using total RNA, and not using any methods to reduce or remove ribosomal RNA.
mastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:32 AM   #4
starbug16

Phew, thank you for the responses. Mind much at rest and now onwards to diginorm-ing!
starbug16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
yueluo

If you're not interested in ribosomal genes, you might as well remove all those reads.
yueluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
Marianna85

Hi everybody,

actually I had the same problem (that is not really a problem but something that is quite normal) and I want to ask you an opinion that it might be helpful also for starbug16.

I did several libraries by using different kits and I had different percentages of reads mapping to rRNAs, ranging from 1 to 30%.
I think that the problem arises when you have to compare samples having very different percentages of rRNAs. I mean: if I have to find DE between 2 samples having respectively 15% and 30% of rRNA reads, I have the impression that final results are biased by the very different percentages of rRNAs (which compete for the sequencing and affect the number of mRNA sequences). Did you understand my point?
In this case, do you think that a normalization procedure (like TMM or DESeq) will minimize this issue?

Thank you to anybody who will tell his opinion!

Marianna
Marianna85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
yueluo

I usually remove reads that map to rRNA(and/or other sources of contamination) , then proceed with mapping/DE-analysis .
yueluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
Marianna85

Hi Yueluo,
so you think it is not a problem if your samples have really different percentages of rRNAs??

Marianna
Marianna85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assembly, fastqc, illumina, overrespresented, transcriptome