SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[bwa] generating paired end sam file from sai files insular Bioinformatics 1 06-04-2013 04:55 AM
Samtools pileup and mpileup for one bam file generating different output var Bioinformatics 3 11-08-2012 07:56 AM
Adapters at the end of unknown DNA fragments lundalinda MGISEQ (FKA Complete Genomics) 0 08-06-2012 11:45 AM
Generating simulated paired end reads whaleberg General 3 05-21-2011 12:15 PM
PubMed: Methods for generating shotgun and mixed shotgun/paired-end libraries for the Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 04-11-2009 05:40 AM

Old 01-20-2015, 07:39 AM   #1
Slacanch

Default generating pileup of paired end fragments

Dear all,
i'm working with paired end rnaseq data. i wanted to generate a pileup with samtools mpileup but noticed that only the mapping reads get counted, and not the unmapped part between two mates, like so:

______READ1--------READ2________ <- mapping
______1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1________ <- pileup

is generating pileups using the whole fragment (read + mate + part in between them) frowned upon for some reason? would it be correct to do it? if yes are there any tools?

alternatively, is there a tool to merge mates and generate the complete fragment in a sam file?

Thank you!

Last edited by Slacanch; 01-20-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Slacanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

What would a pileup of the uncovered region between mates even look like. They couldn't contribute any sequence, so what would you show for them? The only conceivable reason I could think of to do this is in peak calling for chip-seq or something like that, but then you don't care about the actual sequence so there'd be no point in going to full pileup route.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
Slacanch

well i don't really care about the sequence, it's for profile comparison.
as long as the positions are right, i'm ok with it.

maybe i shouldn't have called it pileup, but coverage. just a measure of how many reads overlap each position, in order to be able to compare profiles at certain loci (such as transcriptional readthrough for example).

for future reference, i discovered a script that does more or less this in the "misc" folder of samtools. it's called interpolate_sam.pl.

i'll check it more in detail and report back.
Slacanch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fragment, paired end, pileup