Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had luck with Fosmid library prep kits?

Hi -- I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with making 40kb jumping libraries using a Fosmid kit. I was looking at this NxSeq 40kb mate pair cloning kit . But really I have no idea what a good kit would be-- the whole process seems like there's a lot of room for mistakes. It will be for Illumina sequencing. Thanks!

What are you sequencing? You might be better off using long reads (PacBio or Moleculo), which won't be 40Kb but given the recent successes (such as assembling an entire Drosophila chromosome arm)

This is the only kit like it on the market, and it is indeed an involved protocol -- you are first making a cosmid library and then converting it to a sequencing library.

Comment

I'm using Illumina technology for sequencing. I looked into PacBio, but the genome I'm trying to sequence is 1.6 GB, far too expensive for PacBio currently even only at 1X coverage. I might just try to find a company that does Fosmid libraries...

Comment

Do you anticipate having difficulties (repeats, ploidy considerations etc)? Is there a related genome available?

Depending on how "finished" you want the genome to be, you may be able to get a lot done with normal libraries.

Comment

The genome of interest is highly repetitive (estimated 21% tandem repeats, 42% repetitive). Unfortunately, there isn't a related genome available. I wanted to be able to do structural rearrangement analysis and comparative genomics between different species, which I would think requires a high degree of genome completion.

Comment

Well .. in light of that your choice is going to be limited. Hopefully you can at least do a few SMRTcells on PacBio or other nanopore based technologies would become more generally available this year.

I know that oomycete genomes have been done (and they were certainly problematic back in the day).

Comment

I might just wait until PacBio or SMRTcells become more affordable... as of right now it's about $6k to do 1X coverage of PacBio for a 1.6 GB genome.

Comment

Hi jwag,

Doing a project search on Genohub for exactly 1x coverage on a 1.6 Gb genome yields the following PacBio service providers:

Find and order next-generation sequencing services based on your project specifications. Receive instant quotes with guaranteed quality and turnaround time.

Genomax -- we're hoping too that nanopore tech comes online this year. By chance, are you one of the lucky few that has early access to the MinIon ?

- Genohub

Comment

Originally posted by Genohub View Post
                  Genomax -- we're hoping too that nanopore tech comes online this year. By chance, are you one of the lucky few that has early access to the MinIon ?
                  I do not work in the lab but I know at least one person locally who was turned down. So not everyone who applied probably made it.

Perhaps we should do an anonymous poll and see how many on SeqAnswers got selected?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses