Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Biolinux 8

Hi everyone, I am quite new on bioinformatics and I trying to learn, I am doing this on biolinux8, but now it doesn't boot, and is asking me to upgrade to ubuntu 16.04 by using the command "do-release-upgrade". Is this advisable? I am goin to lose those programs that come with biolinux8?

Thanks

AFAIK, Bio-Linux is pretty much dead. If you want to learn bioinformatics, install e.g. Debian Stable, latest Ubuntu LTS or CentOS 7 and then learn how to install programs yourself from github and such..
    savetherhino.org

Comment

It seems that there is no more support for bio linux, but I already updated bio linux from 14.04 to 16.04, the boot is still weird, but is working and the programs are there. If problems continue I going to change to the latest Ubuntu.
      Thanks

Comment

Bio-Linux 8

Originally posted by crvalenz View Post
        Hi everyone, I am quite new on bioinformatics and I trying to learn, I am doing this on biolinux8, but now it doesn't boot, and is asking me to upgrade to ubuntu 16.04 by using the command "do-release-upgrade". Is this advisable? I am goin to lose those programs that come with biolinux8?

Thanks
        No, it's not advisable unless you know what you're doing and are prepared for some Bio-Linux packages to break (notably QIIME and Galaxy). However, I've upgraded my own Bio-Linux 8 laptop from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS to 16.04 LTS and most things are working OK. However, I had to make changes to some of the packages and re-install them because of dependency problems.

If you try it please post your experiences to the Bio-Linux mailing list:

http://www.bioinformatics.org/mm/lis...bio-linux-list

Thanks,

Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by rhinoceros View Post
          AFAIK, Bio-Linux is pretty much dead. If you want to learn bioinformatics, install e.g. Debian Stable, latest Ubuntu LTS or CentOS 7 and then learn how to install programs yourself from github and such..
          Hi,

It's not true that Bio-Linux is dead and it's a testament to the work done by the lead developer Tim Booth that the PPA packages and packages from the other repositories used by Bio-Linux are updated automatically by:

apt update
          apt full-upgrade

It is true that Bio-Linux is no longer being developed by Tim Booth because he has a new job. However, I am seeking funding to continue Tim's work and will create Bio-Linux 9 based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS if I get funding.

Yes, of course, you could install all the upstream bioinformatics software yourself under any Linux distro but you would probably end up duplicating the work of others. Far better to join the Bio-Linux community and help out :-)

Bye,

Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by crvalenz View Post
            It seems that there is no more support for bio linux, but I already updated bio linux from 14.04 to 16.04, the boot is still weird, but is working and the programs are there. If problems continue I going to change to the latest Ubuntu.
            Thanks
            Hi,

Please post your experiences upgrading Bio-Linux 8 to Ubuntu 16.04 on the Bio-Linux mailing list:

Thanks,

Tony.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses