Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need feedback on RADseq using enzyme BbvCI

I am planning to genotype ~520 samples using original RADseq (Etter et al. 2011). The project has 2 goals: (1) construct a linkage map using a subset of those individuals, and (2) examine introgression among populations. I would like feedback on my sequencing plan.

I am studying two hybridizing species with a genome size of ~980 Mb. We do not have whole genome sequence and suspect low sequence divergence between the species. We would like to generate as many tags as possible so we can make a dense linkage map.

An in silico digest of transcriptome data from a closely related species suggests that the restriction enyme BbvCI will yield ~120k RAD tags while allowing multiplexing of 85 samples per lane (at 30x coverage on an Illumina HiSeq), for a total of 6 lanes. For comparison, a less frequent cutter like SfbI would allow us to sequence everything on 2 lanes, but would yield only ¼ the number of tags. BbvCI was the only enzyme I tested that is estimated to yield a large number of fragments while also allowing an acceptable level of multiplexing, which is why I would like to use it. We have sufficient funding for more sequencing lanes, but one feature of BbvCI makes me question its usefulness:

BbvCI does not have a palindromic cut site, so each DNA fragment will have a different 5’ overhang at each end: either TCA or TGA. Does this mean that I need to order 2 different P1 adapters, 1 for each end? If I were to use only one P1 adapters and ligate it to one end, this would halve the number of RAD tags generated.

I welcome any suggestions on how to optimize the tradeoff between number of tags generated and costs of oligos, enzymes, and sequencing.

You probably should use one of overhangs for adapter ligation because two adapters overhang will be complementary and will result in high adapter-dimer formation that have to be considered for library prep protocol.

Comment

Good point, not sure how I overlooked that. Thanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
      0 responses