SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cutadapt: guidance on rationale for --overlap=LENGTH values mgg Bioinformatics 1 01-05-2012 10:23 AM
Second-strand cDNA synthesis question eab Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 12-13-2011 03:50 PM
strand-specific Illumina protocol PFS Bioinformatics 1 06-28-2010 08:53 AM
Custom Illumina adapter synthesis kmcarr Sample Prep / Library Generation 22 04-23-2010 12:32 AM
Custom Illumina adapter synthesis vibseq Illumina/Solexa 1 11-04-2009 06:29 AM

Old 03-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
rodr08

Default Rationale for Superscript II RT use in Illumina 1st strand synthesis

Hello party people,
Does anyone know why Illumina's 1st strand synthesis protocol (for RNA-seq) uses Superscript II (SSII, Invitrogen) as opposed to Superscript III (SSIII)?

Besides it lower thermal stability and shorter half life, SSII exhibits tailing activity, adding "2 to 3 bases in a template independent fashion to the end of a primer." (taken from invitrogen product notes)

I am a novice, still learning about the seq technology and illumina protocols so bear with me. Shouldn't introducing these extra bases effectively decrease the length of your final sequence read?
rodr08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
rodr08

I spoke with Illumina technical support and got the answer to my question and some additional information that might be helpful to others.

They developed their protocols using SSII and never tested it with SSIII. The representative called this move "Institutional Inertia." The rep went on to say customers had reported using SSIII successfully for mRNA-seq and sRNA V1.5 library preps.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:04 AM   #3
peromhc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr08 View Post
They developed their protocols using SSII and never tested it with SSIII. The representative called this move "Institutional Inertia." The rep went on to say customers had reported using SSIII successfully for mRNA-seq and sRNA V1.5 library preps.
Interestingly, If you look at the mRNA prep protocol revision A (not the current revision D) SSIII is used... I had wondered if it had something to do with the lower optimal temp of SSII (42 degrees) versus 50 for SSIII

I recently used SSIII for a mRNA prep without a problem. While Illumina may not officially support it, it certainly works.
peromhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
rodr08

Thanks for sharing this information

Tags
illumina, reverse transcription, superscript