SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New microRNA suite of functionality in CLC bio's Genomic Workbench CLC bio Vendor Forum 1 09-14-2011 11:46 AM
NGS functionality for KNIME BAJ Bioinformatics 3 04-14-2011 04:56 AM

Old 01-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
cswarth

Default tophat functionality

I really don't understand why tophat has such a sparse set of command-line options for controlling alignment while bowtie's options are so rich. Bowtie lets me control the quality of alignment and how many alignments are reported for a given read. Bowtie allows me to trim reads from either 5' or 3' end on the command-line. Tophat doesn't allow for any control of how many reads are reported or what quality scores are acceptable, or what gets trimmed.

The real question is, are there any tools that allow junction spanning alignment (based on a junction annotation file) but which also output at most a single alignment for each read, and even better, will tell me what gene a read is aligned against?

Is there a way to run bowtie by hand that ends up with the same junction-spanning alignments that tophat produces, but with more control?

Thanks in advance,

- Chris
cswarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
holywoool

Althouth based on bowtie,TopHat concentrates in junction finding and several options from bowtie are enough.TopHat does have a -g option which is the same as -m in bowtie.
holywoool is offline   Reply With Quote