Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genome Size Estimation from PacBio Raw Reads

So, working on a de novo assembly using Canu, and it seems to be VERY sensitive to the genomeSize=XXX parameter which is required. As it is a new project, no one has an actual "size" on it (checked T Ryan Gregory's site...nothing similar there either).

So, I am using BBMap suite, specifically...the "kmercountexact.sh" component. Waiting on a compute node right now with >64GB of ram to run, but have it set as follows: kmercountexact.sh in=filtered_subreads.fastq khist=khist.txt peaks=peaks.txt out=genomesize.txt

As Brian Bushnell is active on here, I was hoping to inquire about using this on PacBio specifically...anything I need to be more specific about on the options? Also, can I specify both of my PacBio files as arguments? I have both a .fastq of the long reads as well as a .fasta of much shorter reads supplied by the sequencer people. I know it can do PE files as in= and in2=, but what about to essentially "single" reads?

Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately, I don't have a good method for this. I've tried kmercountexact, and it does not work on raw PacBio reads due to the high error rate. I do not know of a better method for genome size estimation than assembling, with Falcon, for example. Sorry!

If you have multiple files, though, you can enter them comma-delimited, like this:

Code:
    kmercountexact.sh in=filtered1.fq,filtered2.fq
    Not all tools support that, but Tadpole, KmerCountExact, and Dedupe do.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, Brian!

Good to know about the comma-delimited method for multiple entries. Unfortunate to hear about the PacBio error issue when trying to determine genome size. I thought about this a bit and am wondering if the pre-processing Canu does to the data could be used prior to trying kmercountexact? It outputs a couple of files during its run which trim, then correct the reads:

<filename>.trimmedReads.fasta.gz

then

<filename>.correctedReads.fasta.gz

Of course, they have been processed WITH the genomeSize estimate provided at run time and I'm not certain of how much that might have influenced any trimming or correction. I might try and contact Phillippy or Koren and inquire further ;-)

Comment

Perhaps a quick and dirty assembly with miniasm can give you an idea? https://github.com/lh3/miniasm

Comment

Originally posted by wdecoster View Post
          Perhaps a quick and dirty assembly with miniasm can give you an idea? https://github.com/lh3/miniasm
          Thanks for the suggestion wdecoster I think I've avoided miniasm thus far because it appears to only output .gfa files? Kind of limits further evaluation of the assembly as most common tools seem to still only take .fasta.

Update: Found a note in another thread about converting .gfa to .fasta Trying it now...

awk '/^S/{print ">"$2"\n"$3}' in.gfa | fold > out.fa
          Last edited by jpummil; 07-15-2016, 09:41 AM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Originally posted by jpummil View Post
            Thanks for the suggestion wdecoster I think I've avoided miniasm thus far because it appears to only output .gfa files? Kind of limits further evaluation of the assembly as most common tools seem to still only take .fasta.

Update: Found a note in another thread about converting .gfa to .fasta Trying it now...

awk '/^S/{print ">"$2"\n"$3}' in.gfa | fold > out.fa
            About to try this method myself - jpummil, were you successful in estimating genome size from your raw reads?

Comment

Originally posted by jsoghigian View Post
              About to try this method myself - jpummil, were you successful in estimating genome size from your raw reads?
              The assembly itself using miniasm and the conversion script from gfa to fasta worked fine, though the assembly isn't as "good" as from Canu.

Still no really good way to estimate a genome size from the PacBio reads. Schatz put together a really nice tool called GenomeScope, but currently only works with Illumina reads.

Comment

Try analysing the reads from the short inserts (multipass ones).

You can try extracting the long raw reads from the short library inserts, which pass the insert multiple times (CCS-like reads), doing self error correction, and than using kmer counter software designed for Illumina, 454 or Sanger data.

Also please be aware, that you may have to screen out the high copy number DNA (mitochondrial/plastid genomes) before doing kmer counting.

Also you may get some PCR-Free miseq data to complement your pacbio assembly. (Can be cheaper if your coverage is still too low).

Comment

thanks you

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses