No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tophat error with -G option

Hello all,

I'm trying to use tophat to run alignment.

Tophat version: tophat/2.0.12
    Bowtie version: bowtie2/2.2.1

here is my command line for the job:
    tophat -G amel_OGSv3.2.gff3 --no-novel-juncs /gpfs_share/xxxx/xxxx/trim/xxxx.fastq

Below is the error I got:
    -----------

[2015-01-01 09:22:31] Beginning TopHat run (v2.0.12)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [2015-01-01 09:22:31] Checking for Bowtie
    Bowtie version: 2.2.1.0
    [2015-01-01 09:22:31] Checking for Samtools
    Samtools version: 0.1.19.0
    [2015-01-01 09:22:31] Checking for Bowtie index files (genome)..
    [2015-01-01 09:22:31] Checking for reference FASTA file
    [2015-01-01 09:22:31] Generating SAM header for Am_genome
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/local/apps/tophat/2.0.12-gcc454/bin/tophat", line 4087, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
    File "/usr/local/apps/tophat/2.0.12-gcc454/bin/tophat", line 3941, in main
    params.read_params = check_reads_format(params, reads_list)
    File "/usr/local/apps/tophat/2.0.12-gcc454/bin/tophat", line 1836, in check_reads_format
    zf = ZReader(f_name, params)
    File "/usr/local/apps/tophat/2.0.12-gcc454/bin/tophat", line 1789, in __init__
    self.file=open(filename)
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '-G'
    -------
    I have checked the first column of my gff3 and bowtie2 index, and they match.

I'm running this on a cluster.

thank you so much.

Regards,
    bbm

Try providing full path to gff file. Is that directory available on the node where your job actually is running?

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      Try providing full path to gff file. Is that directory available on the node where your job actually is running?
      Thanks! I tried providing full path too, and have the same error.
      The gff3 file is in current dir.

Comment

Can you provide the full command you are using (example above seems to be truncated, obfuscate names if you don't want to provide specifics)?

Are you using latest tophat? Are you able to run TopHat with just the -G option without providing reads (so the transcriptome index can be pre-built?)

From TopHat manual

For example, in order to just prepare the transcriptome index files for a specific annotation, an initial, single TopHat run could be invoked like this:
        tophat -G known_genes.gtf \
        --transcriptome-index=transcriptome_data/known \
        hg19
        In this example TopHat will create the transcriptome_data directory in the current directory (if it doesn't exist already) containing files known.gff, known.fa, known.fa.tlst, known.fa.ver and the known.* Bowtie index files. Then for subsequent TopHat runs with the same genome and known transcripts but different reads, TopHat will no longer spend time building the transcriptome index because it can use the previously built transcriptome index files, so the -G option is no longer needed (however using it again will not force TopHat to rebuild the transcriptome index files if they are already present and with the matching version)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses