Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GATK newbie question

I'm trying to run the GATK Unified Genotyper on a set of bam files that I have coordinate sorted, but when I run the UG its giving me this error message:

"Input files reads and reference have incompatible contigs: Order of contigs differences, which is unsafe."

From reading, I believe I need to re-order my reference fasta file to match the order apparent in the coordinate sorted header of my bam files. But I'm not sure how to do that. Is there code somewhere that will let me re-order my reference file to match a given bam file's order?

I'm using a reference that comprises ~5k small genomes, some of which are in pieces (~188k total sequence records). The file size is 7.3Gb.

I also think that maybe (probably?) I need to pull out single specific references and run the UG on single references at a time. Its a metagenomic project, and I was hoping to get results for the whole thing at one time, but that might not be realistic. But even if I pull out single, well covered genome references, some of them will be in hundreds of pieces themselves. So I'd still need a way to order my reference. I could probably write up something in perl to do this, but I'm not too strong a coder, and I'm worried that I'd have memory issues trying to hash 188k sequences and juggle them around.

Can anyone offer me some guidance on this?

Is this what you are looking for? Picard - Reorder sam

You can reorder your reads to match the order of your reference sequence.

Comment

I will take a look at that, thanks for the suggestion. I had thought my alignment sam file needed to be sorted in coordinate order, so I was kind of thinking that I needed to re-order my reference.

I've been having more luck just extracting single references and working on one at a time though. When I do that the reference fasta is small enough that a simple perl script can order it. I may just give up on trying to call SNPs on my whole subject database in a single go.

Comment

The Reordering can be done only after sorting - you will still have to first sort your reads (and reference) by coordinates. Guess that doesn't solve the reference sorting problem you are facing..

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses