Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not sure if this will identify the exact same adapters as FastQC, but take a look at TagCleaner (http://seqanswers.com/wiki/TagCleaner).
    It might help if you provide the adapter sequence since you seem to be sure they are the TruSeq adapters. Depending on the file size, I would also suggest you try the standalone version as the web version is not well suited for large files.

Comment

We never run 150 cycle runs, the last 50 cycles are a waste of money

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenSeq View Post
        We never run 150 cycle runs, the last 50 cycles are a waste of money
        It depends on the application for sure, and how nicely the machine is running. What Qs are you seeing in the last 50 base calls?

Comment

Originally posted by kga1978 View Post
          *BUMP*

I'm using FastQC as well (great program - thanks!) and I have noticed that I have significant contaminations of TruSeq adapters. Is there a program that will trim these without me having to specify the adapter sequences themselves? I.e. a program that uses the same sort of information as FastQC to automatically identify and trim them?

Thanks - and sorry for the bump!
          I think TagDust does something along these lines - identifying and removing artificially overrepresented sequences.

I'd be careful how I applied this sort of analysis though. Depending on your experiment many of the Kmers identified by FastQC and similar programs may have a biological rather than a technical origin.

Comment

Thanks for the link to TagDust - I'll have a look at that. For now though, I found a combination of cutadapt to remove adapters (the adapter sequence I took from the file inside the FastQC program) and prinseq to remove low-quality sequences works very well. A little slow, but it does clean up nicely some of my more messy alignments.

Comment

Originally posted by kga1978 View Post
              Thanks for the link to TagDust - I'll have a look at that. For now though, I found a combination of cutadapt to remove adapters (the adapter sequence I took from the file inside the FastQC program) and prinseq to remove low-quality sequences works very well. A little slow, but it does clean up nicely some of my more messy alignments.
              Cutadapt can do quality trimming as well as adapter removal. It may not have as many options as Prinseq, but if it's good enough it might speed up your workflow a bit.

Comment

Hi,
                When I want to run cutadapt or similar adapter trimming program, should I specify both of the Illumina PE adapters for each fastq file? How does program differentiate between the 5' and 3' adapter ?

Comment

Generally you shouldn't see the 5' adapter since the sequencing primer is complementary to the end of this adapter. You'd simply select the 3' adapter for whichever read you were trimming.

Having said this, the approach used by trim galore is to use the common sequence which is present at the end of all of the illumina adapters, so this should allow the removal of any of the adapters.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses