SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Ion Torrent

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ion Torrent vs MiSeq vs GS Junior razibus General 39 11-08-2015 01:45 PM
Alternative (cheaper) reagents for Ion Torrent PGM sequencer Gorbenzer Ion Torrent 10 11-30-2013 05:20 PM
Ion Torrent PGM multiplexing eosin Ion Torrent 7 03-29-2012 06:00 PM
Ion Torrent/MiSeq Ordering riegs General 3 12-28-2011 08:30 AM
Ion Torrent PGM data with Mosaik-aligner Magnus Bioinformatics 0 05-19-2011 04:59 AM

Old 01-05-2016, 03:43 AM   #121
ymc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikor View Post
all right, our lab is doing very similar jobs with vehuardo's lab, plus a lot of viral identification. And the major question confused me alot is the choice between S5 and miseq.

our fund is only supported for one miseq, so it's hard to buy S5+ionchef. any information will be welcome, thanks!

ps: like vehuardo said, the Life tech. did a good presentation that are impressive most of my collegues.

If you have small number of samples AND you need fast turnaround time, then Ion Torrent. Otherwise, MiSeq.

If you are doing pure research, then turnaround time shouldn't be a concern, then obviously MiSeq.
ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #122
ajthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikor View Post
all right, our lab is doing very similar jobs with vehuardo's lab, plus a lot of viral identification. And the major question confused me alot is the choice between S5 and miseq.

our fund is only supported for one miseq, so it's hard to buy S5+ionchef. any information will be welcome, thanks!

ps: like vehuardo said, the Life tech. did a good presentation that are impressive most of my collegues.
You don't absolutely need the Chef. We have the PGM and the Proton, but no Chef, and we get along just fine. The Chef automates some things and saves time, but it's not necessary. I guess what I'm saying is that if you feel the S5 is the better instrument for your needs, but the cost of the S5+Chef is prohibitive, you can get just the OT2 and get along just fine.
ajthomas is offline   Reply With Quote