Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gsAssembler behaving funny with PE data

Hi A couple of questions about genome assembly of 454 using gsAssembler.

Some background: We are sequencing and assembling a eukaryotic genome using 454 titanium data. First we ran 7 slides of shotgun sequencing, and later one slide of paired end (with 3 kb inserts). We have made several assemblies:

Assembly A: Here we just used the shotgun data. All parameters were set to default, except that we used "-large". We got 114 Mbp in total. 7600 contigs with L50=52 Kb.

Assembly B: This time we used both the shotgun and PE data, and assembled everything together. The same parameters as in A were used. Now we got 110 Mbp in total. 9000 contigs with L50=35 Kb (and 1600 scaffolds with L50=160 Mbp).

Assembly C: Here we first made an assembly with just the shotgun data and then added the PE data and updated the assembly. This gave 114 Mbp in total. 7700 contigs with L50=53 Kb (and 1600 scaffolds with L50=160 Mbp).

Now the questions:

1. It's strange that we get less assembled sequence when we add the PE reads (assembly B vs assembly A). Does anybody have any possible explanation for this?

2. I would rather use assembly C than assembly B for the subsequent analysis since the contigs are longer. But I don't know which assembly to trust. Is there any way of knowing which of the two assemblies is more "correct"? (I'm thinking about computational things that don't involve any more sequencing...)

long post, hope somebody has some input...

thanks
    /Jakub

Hi there,

Roche recommends assembling shotgun and PE reads as you did in C. First assemble the shotgun reads, and then add in the PE reads after. From the software manual:

When planning to run an incremental assembly, it is best to first add the shotgun reads, and then add reads from Paired End libraries with increasing insert spans. This is because longer contigs can be assembled using the longer shotgun reads. These longer contigs then have a better chance of having both ends of paired end reads aligned within them. This in turn allows more robust library span estimates to be made. (Software v.2.3, October 2009)

Comment

Thanks for your help! Guess I should get a new manual then. (I have one from October 2008, and I couldn't find the info there...)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses