No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Validating genome assembly

Hi,

I'm quite new to bioinformatics, so please excuse the simplicity of this post.

I've sequenced a fungal genome (<40 Mbp) using the Ion Torrent platform. I created a fragment library, which means that I should now have single end reads (right?)

MIRA seemed like a good choice of assembler so I used that as well as CLC to assemble the reads into contigs, but now I'm stuck. I'd like to compare the qualities of the MIRA and CLC assemblies using CGAL, but I have no idea how to use the program.

I've read the CGAL paper, but I'm not sure where to begin running this program on the cluster at my school and I can't find much info on this program anywhere else. Does anyone have any experience/suggestions as to how I should proceed?

Thanks in advance!

I like to run Quast for evaluating assemblies, and it's pretty easy to use. It's best if you have a reference but does not require one.

Comment

Downloading CGAL and trying it out yourself may be the only option. There is no online help documentation (or so it appears). Hopefully there is help documentation included in the source code download.

You are going to need to do some leg work to find out how to run software on your local cluster (every site has different setup, local restrictions, best practices etc). If you run into specific issues, we can try to help.

Quast (that Brian already mentioned) has help documentation that you can look at.

Comment

Thanks a lot! I will take a look at Quast. I downloaded CGAL and tried unzipping it in the cluster, but to no avail. It is a .tar file so I typed the command:

tar -xzvf file.tar

After that the command prompt disappeared and nothing else happened. Any ideas?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses