SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Genomic Resequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it possible to convert a SNP.txt to a bed file or get a SNP.bed from samtools? Ling Bioinformatics 7 04-02-2015 06:17 AM
How to call SNP using known SNP information nkwuji Bioinformatics 1 07-23-2013 09:16 PM
Samtools SNP Caller versus MAQ SNP caller BertieWooster Bioinformatics 5 05-18-2012 01:41 PM
SNP detection doxologist Genomic Resequencing 14 09-06-2010 06:49 AM
SNP Frequency kvarala Bioinformatics 7 05-03-2010 07:39 AM

Old 08-12-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
biocc

Default SNP or not

I used MAQ, VAAL and novoalign to map solexa reads on a reference genome . ouput of these softwares showed a delete or a SNP exist. but when I used Tablet for visualization and exploration of sequence assemblies, it seems information from alignment is not sufficient for the mutaion. why? which is right.
thanks.
biocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
NextGenSeq

IMHO, the only way to validate a SNP is by PCR and first gen sequencing. Obviously you can only do this for a small minority of SNPs.
NextGenSeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
Lee Sam

If you just want to visualize it, you might want to try the UCSC genome browser which allows you to plug in BAM files output from the aligners. I'm not sure how to do it exactly, as someone else set up the infrastructure I'm using.
Lee Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
ntremblay

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextGenSeq View Post
IMHO, the only way to validate a SNP is by PCR and first gen sequencing. Obviously you can only do this for a small minority of SNPs.
You could use a lot of techniques to validate a snp! The traditional way of doing it is PCR + Sanger seq, but new techniques like Taq Man assay, Sequenom Assay, Allelic discrimination with a melting curve in QPCR, etc.!
ntremblay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
drio

What did you use to call the SNPs? Most tools are not very stringent in the default mode and require tweaking the parameters and/or perform downstream filters to improve the specificity.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
biocc

Default thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by drio View Post
What did you use to call the SNPs? Most tools are not very stringent in the default mode and require tweaking the parameters and/or perform downstream filters to improve the specificity.
I want to find the genome difference between two bacterial strains and analysis the phenotype of them. I use samtools for downstream filter, is there other methods better? thanks
biocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:02 AM   #7
severin
Genome Informatics Facility

Default Illumina Goldengate

You could also use Illumina Goldengate technology to verify potential SNPs.
Instead of performing a screen on a small number of SNPs on many genomes, you can perform it on many SNPs for 1 or 2 genomes.

http://www.illumina.com/technology/g...ing_assay.ilmn
severin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
drio

Quote:
Originally Posted by biocc View Post
I want to find the genome difference between two bacterial strains and analysis the phenotype of them. I use samtools for downstream filter, is there other methods better? thanks
The samtools SNP calling protocol is a very good starting point. I assume you have a very deep coverage on your samples (since they are bacteria), so you probably want to make the
varfilter parameters more stringent (start increasing the coverage necessary to call a snp). Do you have any expected mutation rate on your bacterias? insertions?

Notice the samtools' author has recently released a new version of samtools and pileup has been deprecated. mpileup is recommend now.