Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Genomic Resequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
samtools pileup output, base quality does not match original ones wwmm933 Bioinformatics 3 11-30-2011 09:52 PM
SNP quality score in Samtools pileup wangzkai Bioinformatics 5 09-21-2011 06:32 AM
samtools pileup vs mpileup for computing per-base coverage SamH Bioinformatics 5 08-10-2011 02:14 PM
samtools pileup c-option changes read quality DNAjunk Bioinformatics 1 08-01-2011 01:24 AM
How is SNP quality calculated in SAMTOOLS pileup? lazyworm Bioinformatics 2 05-28-2010 12:00 AM

Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 AM   #1

Question samtools pileup base quality

I would like to understand the pileup base quality scores for SNPs.

For example, I have this SNP call at one of the positions
T to Y (which is C or T).
The read depth is 61.
The base quality column is

I suppose in this case . probably means 'same as the original base', which would be 'T' in this case. But I don't understand what the , and $ stand for.

What is the best way to determine the relative proportion of each base in case of ambiguous SNPs?

Can I just calculate the number of reads with the individual calls?

In the other calls I have come across the following symbols which I need help to interpret.
$ , . ~ ^ CAPITAL_LETTERS small_letters

Is there a parameter I can use in pileup to give me a score for the individual calls? I did not find anything helpful in the manual.

Apologies in case this question has already been asked/answered in the past. It would be great if somebody could direct me to the right thread.

swapna is offline   Reply With Quote

base quality, pileup, samtools, snps