Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloves come off in the marketing battle for the benchtop...

Looks like LIFE has decided to attack the MiSeq directly in this mildly amusing YouTube video...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

...albeit with a tired Apple parody. I'll admit...I smiled. Especially at the part where the Illumina rep looks just like LIFE's CEO Greg Lucier.

I'll let some of you guys pick apart the claims made in the video (*cough*emulsionPCR*cough*).

I find it amusing that they are playing the 6 month wait time. How long did it take for Ion Torrents to start delivering after announcement. And you'll need to run both of your PGMs to keep up with Miseq's output.

Comment

There is an episode 2, see below. This is a more direct attack on inherent readlength limitations of ILMN, and claims of 200bp by December and 400bp by next year.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by GW_OK View Post
        I find it amusing that they are playing the 6 month wait time. How long did it take for Ion Torrents to start delivering after announcement. And you'll need to run both of your PGMs to keep up with Miseq's output.
        PGM output will be the same if not more than the Miseq, unless the Miseq launches early.

Comment

OMG this had better be not from LIFE ...
          oh wait it is... hmmm

Definitely worth a watch!
          http://kevin-gattaca.blogspot.com/

Comment

But does anybody actually have a PGM right now? How does it run, I told my boss about it he told me on the long run its actually more expensive in reagent costs?

Comment

Jejejeje this one is hilarious

Comment

Until they get rid of the emulsion PCR with the One Touch the PGM is not competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by aleferna View Post
                  But does anybody actually have a PGM right now?
                  There definitely boxes in the field.

Originally posted by aleferna View Post
                  I told my boss about it he told me on the long run its actually more expensive in reagent costs?
                  What are you comparing to? Against a HiSeq, GAIIx or SOLiD , it will look very bad. Against 454 Sr. or Jr., it will be comparable with the current chip & much better with the new chips once they arrive. Against MiSeq, it will be comparable.

Ion will be most valuable where cost/bp is not the important factor, but cost/run or turnaround time.

Comment

The numbers don't add up though, 11.1M wells @ 100 bp with 100% loading and 100% PF = 1.1 Gb output. MiSeq spec is 3.4M SR/6.8M PE PF reads for 1.0 Gb. I'm not sure the two numbers are comparable. The expectation could be with the PGM 70% well occupancy closer to 0.8 Gb. I'd like to see how the current chip would translate for output on the 318. A 15M+ well chip may be needed to get 1 Gb.

Comment

Originally posted by epistatic View Post
                      The numbers don't add up though, 11.1M wells @ 100 bp with 100% loading and 100% PF = 1.1 Gb output. MiSeq spec is 3.4M SR/6.8M PE PF reads for 1.0 Gb. I'm not sure the two numbers are comparable. The expectation could be with the PGM 70% well occupancy closer to 0.8 Gb. I'd like to see how the current chip would translate for output on the 318. A 15M+ well chip may be needed to get 1 Gb.
                      I think 318 chip won't be 100bp anymore. 200 or 400?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses