Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Behavior: The megablast standalone behaves as blastn.. Who knows why???

Hi all,
    I am using the blastn standalone with the MEGABLAST algorithm to find contaminations in my illumina Hymenopteran database prior to assembly.

I observed the interesting instance, that when I use the nuccore db as database to blast against, the found best blast hits aren't the same as when I use a custom Hymenoptera database (all hymenopteran sequences of ncbi) without changing any other settings.

Now you think: "Clear thing, it's because of the databases! You cannot find anything that is not there"

BUT:

When I test reads with hits on both approaches on the ncbi-web-blast, I get the same behavior as described above when I search one time using the MEGABLAST algorithm (the same hit as against nuccore) and the other time using the blastn algorithm (the same hit as against hymenoptera-DB) WITHOUT changing the database!!!!!!!

(just to point it out: that means, that the behavior is not related to the different databases but to the algorithm!)

You can try it at the web blast if you want:

GAAAAAAAGACAGTTGCGTATCATGAGGCTGGCCATGCAGTAGCAGGCTGGTTTTTACAATACGCAGATCCACTTTTAAAGGTCTCTATAATCCCACGTGG

bbh with megablast: NM_001079291.1 Xenopus e-15
    bbh with blastn: XM_003693554.1 Apis e-28

bbh standalone megablast nuccore: NM_001079291.1 Xenopus e-15
    bbh standalone megablast hym-DB: XM_003693554.1 Apis e-28

That is totally strange, isn't it?

Why does my standalone megablast find Apis just when I use the custom hymenopt. DB, not in the nuccore? Does it act as dc-megablast or blastn by itself in special circumstances?

Does anyone know if the standalone blastn Megablast changes any settings like word size on it's own? Can anyone explain this strange behavior?

I would be happy to hear any of your expectations.

Cheers,
    Phil

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses