Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• counting reads per user-defined region. Bedtools intersect?

I have the results of my first few experiments, and aligned them to my genome etc, but now I would like to count the number of reads I get in a user-defined set of regions.
    I am reading about Bedtools and it seems to me that I should be able to use bedtools intersect to obtain this information, does this seem the right way to go?

For example, I have my genome alignment file (as a bam file or summarised into bed/bedgraph), and I want to divide the whole genome into fragments flanked by the motif GATC. I will generate a bed file with the coordinates of every "inter-GATC" fragment, and then I want to ask how many reads I get per fragment. Is bedtools intersect the way to do it? Or are there better ways?

I'm completely new to this, as you may have guessed... just trying to get my head around all the tools available.

Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by mcnach View Post
    I have the results of my first few experiments, and aligned them to my genome etc, but now I would like to count the number of reads I get in a user-defined set of regions.
    I am reading about Bedtools and it seems to me that I should be able to use bedtools intersect to obtain this information, does this seem the right way to go?

For example, I have my genome alignment file (as a bam file or summarised into bed/bedgraph), and I want to divide the whole genome into fragments flanked by the motif GATC. I will generate a bed file with the coordinates of every "inter-GATC" fragment, and then I want to ask how many reads I get per fragment. Is bedtools intersect the way to do it? Or are there better ways?

I'm completely new to this, as you may have guessed... just trying to get my head around all the tools available.

Thanks for your help.
    I think you need to use coveragebed http://bedtools.readthedocs.org/en/l.../coverage.html

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhottommy View Post
      I think you need to use coveragebed http://bedtools.readthedocs.org/en/l.../coverage.html
      Yes, thank you, that looks more appropriate.

Now I have to figure out how to make it work

Comment

Indeed...

coverageBed -abam <bamfile.bam> -b <ref.bed>

works beautifully.

I tested it with some made up bed files first and it's just what I was after.

Thank you!

Comment

Indeed...

coverageBed -abam <bamfile.bam> -b <ref.bed>

works beautifully.

I tested it with some made up bed files first and it's just what I was after.

Thank you!
          Not a problem and good luck!

Comment

Here's a new tool that you could consider, with some comparisons:

featureCounts is available under GNU General Public License as part of the Subread (http://subread.sourceforge.net) or Rsubread (http://www.bioconductor.org) software packages.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Smyth View Post
              Here's a new tool that you could consider, with some comparisons:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24227677

Thanks, Gordon. I'll check it out. I've been a fan of Limma for a long time, for microarray analyses, so I'm very interested to see what you came up with here

Jose

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                Yesterday, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses