SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Introductions

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oxford Nanopore to introduce "disruptive technology" at AGBT GW_OK The Pipeline 104 11-08-2020 08:52 AM
Can GAIIx introduce a bias in coverage A on T? vjimenez Illumina/Solexa 3 05-18-2011 05:11 AM
can some one introduce me to next generation sequencing?? chanderbio General 4 08-26-2009 07:36 AM

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #241
CosmoKramer

Hi All,

My name is Jason Kramer, I'm establishing an Illumina based (GAIIx and HiSeq 2000) core facility at Arizona State University. Thanks to all who contribute to this site, it has been very helpful as we get off the ground!

Jason
Old 05-28-2011, 03:48 AM   #242
knutt

Hi everyone,

My name is Pierfrancesco, i'm working as system administrator and develper for the University of Pisa, genetics section of dep. of crop biology. My background is almost about IT and I'm new to bioinformatics. We usually work with CLC Genetics Workbench and bioperl and biopython, I hope to get some help and, maybe in the future, contribute to this community.

Pierfrancesco
Old 05-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #243
jagdish78@gmail.com

Default a brillianr idea for single molecule DNA sequencing

Hi all,
i have an idea that has occurred to me after an year of exposure to nanopore sequencing, my backgroung in protein design and nano-biotechnology, and lastly attending a workshop on next generation sequencing techniques. Off course i have all the skills to work on this idea and its very feasible. It is based on designing a chromophore sensor site in the DNA polymerase which changes its spectrum upon interaction with different nucleotides passing nearby it during dna replication. i am looking for a research where i can get a postdoc position to work on similar work or a company where i can get involved with this research. My broader research interest is on designing protein/peptides for bio material nano technological applications. reply me on jagdish78@gmail.com
Old 05-31-2011, 03:39 PM   #244
bnfoguy

Hello SEQanswers community!

I am a third year undergrad from New Jersey, USA. I'm currently working on a Genetic Variations project. I'm still learning the ropes and hope to find guidance from this community.

Cheers,

Bnfoguy
Old 05-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #245
schell

Default New user

Hi, I am interested in complex, water-borne microbial communities and I plan to use Illumina for large projects (metagenomic projects) and am interested in Ion Torrent for smaller projects. I am in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #246
mrichman

Default Michael Richman Introduction

Hello.

I attended Eric's SEQanswers presentation in SFO Bay Area last week (Thank you Eric!). At the end of the year, I will graduate from Johns Hopkins University Biotechnology Program in Bioinformatics. Right now, I am looking forward to working a bit more with the following software over the summer:

WGAS: Plink, Mendel
ChIP-Seq: MACS, PeakSeq
RNA-Seq: TopHat, Cufflinks
Whole Mapping (reference-based assembly): BWA, Bowtie, MAQ, SAMtools
Whole Assembly (de novo assembly): Velvet, SOAP, Edena, VCAKE

I hope to use this forum to gain additional perspective and contribute my thoughts...and with this post the journey begins.

-Michael
Old 06-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #247
jonwright

Default Hello from Norwich, UK

Hi everyone, My name is Jonathan Wright and I`m a Scientific Programmer at The Genome Analysis Centre at the Norwich Research Park in the UK. I have responsibility for crop genomics, currently working with the wheat genome. We have Illumina, 454 and SOLiD sequencing machines and we are using all three technologies to investigate the wheat genome.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #248
jorge

Default NGS neewbie

Hello all,

My name is Jorge. I'm relatively new to bioinformatics and just very recently to NGS. I hope to find my way around on NGS with the help of you all guys, and who I may help others in the future... when I get more confident.

cheers
Jorge
Old 06-06-2011, 06:26 AM   #249
charltt

Hi everyone!

My name is Travis and I'm an undergraduate pursuing a Bioinformatics degree at Allegheny College, look forward to chatting with you all!
Old 06-07-2011, 03:11 AM   #250
stephwen

Hi everyone,

working here as a bioinformatician at a private company in Belgium

looking forward to taking part in various discussions
Old 06-11-2011, 05:53 AM   #251
alfredman1

Hi All,

I'm an environmental biologist/PhD student working on bacterial ecology and antibiotic pollution in the UK. An opportunity as come up for me to use NextGen Seq to test a few hypothesis that popped up as a result of my experiments, in which I used mostly dna fingerprinting methods to study bacterial communities. Anyways, have been reading through some threads and think this forum is great! Will post my questions sooner than later!

Cheers,

A
Old 06-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #252
Lee Yean

Hi Mates,

Greetings from Monash, Melbourne. I'm working on bacteria RNA-seq using Illumina Solexa
Old 06-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #253
danjg

Greetings all,

I'm Dan from Nebraska. I'll be starting a PhD and am looking to keep an eye on new trends in DNA sequencing biotechnology as well as smaller scale offshoots (methods affordable by smaller labs).
Old 06-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #254
cschlosberg

Default Hello

Hello everyone! Just a new grad student at Washington University in St. Louis saying hi.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #255
fcmChIP

Default fcmChIP

Hi folks,

I am a staff scientist with the FDA, but on the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD.Research interest is in antibody locus control regions and isotype switching. My experience is in chromatin and molecular immunology, including ChIP. I would characterize by bioinfo experience as lengthy, but at a relatively low level: MacVector for many years, and also UCSC browser. Also some programming experience. Looking to do more sophisticated mining of ENCODE data, and our center is getting an Illumina-it would be nice to be able to analyze ChIP Seq data at least at the level of peak calling.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #256
aeonsim

Hi

I'm an Analyst working for a Animal Breeding company in NZ. We're just starting a WGS using the Illumina Hiseq platform and had our first lot of data arrive (300+ coverages split among a number of animals). My focus at the moment is getting my head around how we are going to deal with all the data, comparing the various tools and assembling a decent pipeline for SNP calling.

My background is in Biochemistry.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #257
Daisy831

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonsim View Post
Hi

I'm an Analyst working for a Animal Breeding company in NZ. We're just starting a WGS using the Illumina Hiseq platform and had our first lot of data arrive (300+ coverages split among a number of animals). My focus at the moment is getting my head around how we are going to deal with all the data, comparing the various tools and assembling a decent pipeline for SNP calling.

Hi aeonsim,

Could you please give your email address. SNP calling progress is a little complex, I think we can exchange our experience by email.I collected some papers, maybe could help you.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:19 AM   #258
sci_guy

Default Hello from Sci_guy

Hi,

My name is Jason and I work in Sydney for the CSIRO. I was a molecular biologist but now I've gone to the dark side and exchanged my pipettes for a Linux shell. I've been involved with mostly epigenomics deep seq projects which have needed a fair amount of bioinformatics crowbar work. I spend my days writing R/Python/Perl/SQL.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:32 AM   #259
sci_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonsim View Post
Hi

Hi Aeonsim,

Wes Barris and Brian Dalrymple at the CSIRO are experts in this field. Brian maybe sympathetic as he is a Kiwi (as am I)

http://www.csiro.au/people/Brian.Dalrymple.html
http://www.livestockgenomics.csiro.au/sheep/oar2.0.php
Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 AM   #260
dc3000

Hello, I am a grad student from Michigan State working on plant-associated metagenomes and evo genomic analysis of a plant pathogen. Thanks for all the helpful comments here!
Closed Thread