SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overlap/comparison microarray and RNAseq MDonlin Bioinformatics 7 03-10-2014 02:53 AM
Cufflinks followed by Microarray-like statistical test ?? taozuo RNA Sequencing 1 03-04-2012 03:00 PM
A course on Statistical Methods for mRNA-Seq and ChIP-seq using Bioconductor jsantoyo Events / Conferences 0 10-06-2010 08:08 AM
High throughput sequence analysis tools and approaches with Bioconductor apratap Events / Conferences 0 10-20-2009 11:44 AM
PubMed: A comparison of microarray and MPSS tech platforms for expression analysis Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 02-21-2008 03:06 PM

Old 06-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
maembe

Default comparison of R/Bioconductor microarray analysis with other statistical tools

Hey,

Am new here, so i think its appropriate to say a humble hallo..

secondly, am also new to bioinformatics but i have managed to do some analysis in the past few weeks. my main aim was to compair two groups of patients to determine genes which were differentially expressed from the two groups. i did the analysis on Pertek and also on R/Bioconductor.
am however observing something wierd; the results are not comparable. I'm getting more genes when using the commercial software compared to when i use R/bioconductor.

Can someone give me a heads up on what might be going on here..
maembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
GenoMax

That is not entirely unexpected unless the difference in numbers you are observing is very large.

Have you compared the exact methods that the partek analysis used with the R/bioconductor? Even then there may be subtle differences in how a method is coded in software.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
maembe

Pertek uses ANOVA to determine all differentially expressed genes, by calculating the F-statistics critical value. On the other hand, for R/Bioconductor, i used DEGexp function, in the DEGseq library to get my gene list. Now, i acheved this by splitting the whole dataset containing gene expression values into two groups then loaded them onto DEGexp funtion. I am not sure if it can be considered as the correct approach.

with R/Bioconductor, i could only get 200 genes at a p-value of 0.05, yet Pertek gave me close to 5000 genes.I'm totally confused since i dont know which results to trust

Your comments will be appreciated
Kind regards
maembe is offline   Reply With Quote