Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SmartPhone APP for personalized genome

Just noticed that EdgeBio released their iTunes app today with twitter, facebook and social features .. any others already out there?

I remember Illumina's Bentley talking about the iPhone app, but have not seen much happening after that. Now that we have the USB sequencing, one can imagine having apps to visualize the data, 23andme type interfaces..

Curious to know if others have info.
    --
    bioinfosm

Originally posted by bioinfosm View Post
    Just noticed that EdgeBio released their iTunes app today with twitter, facebook and social features .. any others already out there?

I remember Illumina's Bentley talking about the iPhone app, but have not seen much happening after that. Now that we have the USB sequencing, one can imagine having apps to visualize the data, 23andme type interfaces..

Curious to know if others have info.
    Anyone have any experience with it now that its been out for a couple of months? Do you think it would integrate with my VoIP?

Thanks in advance,

Mason Uhlrich
    Last edited by masonuhlrich; 02-20-2015, 01:31 PM.
    Mason Uhlrich

Comment

I am curious what this app does? What kinds of personal genomics can you do on a cell phone?

Comment

Originally posted by genericforms View Post
        I am curious what this app does? What kinds of personal genomics can you do on a cell phone?
        A cell phone that can browse the web is good enough for personal genomics for lay people. On the other hand, I think you can run bwa on one 50x genome as long as you keep your phone plugged.

Comment

saw a presentation from Bioteam/ british telecom
          so they managed to do a POC with Siri voice activated questions that starts cloud analysis of your data ...
          admittedly the potential for real time analytics (barring seq time) is there ... but I actually feel that personalised genomics without the proper consult of a geneticist / physician is actually dangerous ....
          http://kevin-gattaca.blogspot.com/

Comment

but I actually feel that personalised genomics without the proper consult of a geneticist / physician is actually dangerous ....

Really? I think the benefits outweigh the risks. On balance, having private access to your own genome without first having a doctor look at it might have some serious upside. Having a predisposition to a disease may lead people to making positive changes in their lives and better self monitoring.

I don't think a future home genome kit would be any different ethically than a home pregnancy test.

Regardless, people should have a right to do what they want with assays of their own genomes. This includes having unregulated access to it and the right to donate it to the public domain. If enough brave people do this we may get some earlier and better treatments for some of the devastating diseases.

I understand why some say it's dangerous; I just don't think the evidence is there though.

Comment

Everyone focuses on the negative stuff in the genome. What about the good news? Finding out that most of your genes are clear of "indicators" of disease?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
              • seqadmin
                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
              0 responses