SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MiSeq 500 cycle kits available yet? Bucky Illumina/Solexa 6 08-14-2012 01:11 PM
500 million reads needed for RNA-Seq?! epistatic RNA Sequencing 6 10-31-2011 04:53 PM
RNA-Seq: Differential expression in RNA-seq: A matter of depth. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 09-10-2011 03:12 AM
GC Cover versus mapped depth BertieWooster Bioinformatics 0 02-08-2011 05:25 PM

Old 09-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #1
DrYak

Question RNA-seq on MiSeq - enough depth of cover for a novel 500 MB genome?

Hi,

I'm looking to do DGE on an eukaryotic genome of around 450-500MB. It is on an unsequenced species although there are related species that have draft and transcriptome data available. I was planning on doing the four sequences separately for DGE and then pooling the data to make a ref transcriptome.

The company I'm dealing with says they can give me 3-5 million reads per sample on the MiSeq. I'm concerned that this will not give me enough depth of coverage to get any robust differences.

Are my concerns warranted? I would hate to spend all that money and not get interpretable data.
DrYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
Martin_Ranik

You're probably better off doing some HiSeq. The /Gb cost is much less than MiSeq. You could multiplex your samples and do a hiseq lane, try to make a de novo assembly, map to it to obtain expression data. If the gene expression data depth is insufficient for your needs, you could do another lane or two.
Martin_Ranik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
scbaker
Shawn Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_Ranik View Post
You're probably better off doing some HiSeq. The /Gb cost is much less than MiSeq. You could multiplex your samples and do a hiseq lane, try to make a de novo assembly, map to it to obtain expression data. If the gene expression data depth is insufficient for your needs, you could do another lane or two.
I agree. If you're outsourcing the project, there's absolutely no reason not to pick the best instrument for the job. I'd look for a provider that has a HiSeq.
scbaker is offline   Reply With Quote