X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It turns out that a rather nice one is shipped with EVidence Modeler:

.. in the utilities directory.

Comment

There is a new utility included with cufflinks now, called "gffread", which should be able to extract spliced transcript sequences from a GFF/GTF. This is now documented on this page (scroll down to the "Extracting transcript sequences" section at the end):

Comment

Originally posted by adarob View Post
        There is a new utility included with cufflinks now, called "gffread", which should be able to extract spliced transcript sequences from a GFF/GTF. This is now documented on this page (scroll down to the "Extracting transcript sequences" section at the end):

http://cufflinks.cbcb.umd.edu/gff.html
        The problem with this script is that it returns the reference DNA sequence (from the genome fasta file used for mapping) for the transcripts and not the assembly from the mapped reads.

Does anyone know of a tool that can give the assembled transcript sequence from the RNA-seq data? Or can someone help me if I'm misunderstanding GFFRead?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Anelda View Post
          The problem with this script is that it returns the reference DNA sequence (from the genome fasta file used for mapping) for the transcripts and not the assembly from the mapped reads.

Does anyone know of a tool that can give the assembled transcript sequence from the RNA-seq data? Or can someone help me if I'm misunderstanding GFFRead?
          Here is the process that I am using:

samtools mpileup -uf ref.fa accepted_hits.bam | bcftools view -cg - | vcfutils.pl vcf2fq | fq2fa.pl > new_ref.fa
          gffread -w transcripts.fa -g new_ref.fa transcripts.gtf

where fq2fa.pl is a bioperl script to convert from fq to fasta

I also have an email into the cufflinks developers to see if there is a way that the gffread utility can be enhanced to get the consensus sequence from the bam file and not the reference genome.

Comment

the cufflinks only give us the rebuild assembled sequence based on the reference genome, but i want to know how to get unmapped contigs also , only that we could get some new transcripts.

Comment

Originally posted by huangjun View Post
              the cufflinks only give us the rebuild assembled sequence based on the reference genome, but i want to know how to get unmapped contigs also , only that we could get some new transcripts.
              Its my understanding that nothing tophat/cufflinks will do this. You'll something like trinity, ABySS/trans-ABySS, or Velvet/Oases to do de novo transcriptome assembly. Tophat and cufflinks require the reference sequence.

Comment

Hi guys,
                this thread was really useful for creating my script for extracting consensus sequences from the bam file. I tried to use the new samtools mpileup but it didnt do the job that i wanted. I tried to use vcf-tools's vcf-consensus but it can only extract the whole chromosome. I couldnt make it extract only a region. So went back to samtools-0.1.16 'pileup -c' option. I didnt use the reference sequnce tho cos is more complicated. So i just parse the result of the command:

samtools pileup -c bam.file

I take the transcript.gtf from cufflinks and for every transcript extract the consensus from the pileup. Well this task by it self sounds simple enough but its not. Cos cufflinks doesnt not provide the starts and ends as found in the bam for each found transcript but the start and end found in the annotation. So one has to search for the 'real' coordinates of the transcripts in the pile up first then extractions is easy. Well i have to admit i didnt try to run cufflinks without reference and then see the output. Maybe then transcripts.gtf will contain the true coordinates.

Now my script is working but is slow for big bams cos then the pileup is also big and parsing it takes time. Reading about multi-threading at the moment. Or using PDL's PP programming to make it a bit faster.

Comment

Originally posted by kenietz View Post
                  Hi guys,
                  this thread was really useful for creating my script for extracting consensus sequences from the bam file. I tried to use the new samtools mpileup but it didnt do the job that i wanted. I tried to use vcf-tools's vcf-consensus but it can only extract the whole chromosome. I couldnt make it extract only a region. So went back to samtools-0.1.16 'pileup -c' option. I didnt use the reference sequnce tho cos is more complicated. So i just parse the result of the command:

samtools pileup -c bam.file

I take the transcript.gtf from cufflinks and for every transcript extract the consensus from the pileup. Well this task by it self sounds simple enough but its not. Cos cufflinks doesnt not provide the starts and ends as found in the bam for each found transcript but the start and end found in the annotation. So one has to search for the 'real' coordinates of the transcripts in the pile up first then extractions is easy. Well i have to admit i didnt try to run cufflinks without reference and then see the output. Maybe then transcripts.gtf will contain the true coordinates.

Now my script is working but is slow for big bams cos then the pileup is also big and parsing it takes time. Reading about multi-threading at the moment. Or using PDL's PP programming to make it a bit faster.
                  Hi Kenietz

Can you upload your script for doing the things it will be great as I am also trying the same thing to do

Regards

Comment

Hi figo1019,
                    here it is. Hope it does the job for you.

I've put some explanations inside the script. Please take a look before using it.

Comments and questions are also welcomed

Cheers
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
                      just figured out that my work around does not work for paired-end reads
                      Somehow pileup -c removes some reads except these ones:

0x0100 s the alignment is not primary
                      0x0200 f the read fails platform/vendor quality checks
                      0x0400 d the read is either a PCR or an optical duplicate

I suppose i will have to use directly the command: samtools pileup BAM > pileup.out, then parse the output. Its a bit more tricky but i think will do the job.
                      Will update when im done.

Comment

Hi,
                        just figured out that my work around does not work for paired-end reads
                        Somehow pileup -c removes some reads except these ones:

0x0100 s the alignment is not primary
                        0x0200 f the read fails platform/vendor quality checks
                        0x0400 d the read is either a PCR or an optical duplicate

I suppose i will have to use directly the command: samtools pileup BAM > pileup.out, then parse the output. Its a bit more tricky but i think will do the job.
                        Will update when im done.
                        Hi
                        I am just wondering have you fixed your script for paired end reads? I would like to try your script to extract the consensus sequences from bam file based on cufflinks gtf coordinates.

Comment

Hi,
                          well i created a script which extracts a consensus seq. I think it works but you may try and see if it works for you. Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

I attach here the script.

But you need to modify bam_pileup.c in samtools 0.1.18 directory and then recompile, then rename the compiled binary to samtools_ndsm(the name i used in the script) then put the binary in your PATH.

In BAM_PILEUP.C you have to modify the function bam_plp_t bam_plp_init. Just after the line:

iter->flag_mask = BAM_DEF_MASK

you have to add the following lines:

iter->flag_mask &= -BAM_FSECONDARY;
                          iter->flag_mask &= -BAM_FDUP;

Else provide me with email and i will send all of it to you. I tried to upload but the binary is bigger than the allowed size.

Hope it does the job for you
                          Cheers
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
                            well i created a script which extracts a consensus seq. I think it works but you may try and see if it works for you. Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

But you need to modify bam_pileup.c in samtools 0.1.18 directory and then recompile, then rename the compiled binary to samtools_ndsm(the name i used in the script) then put the binary in your PATH.

In BAM_PILEUP.C you have to modify the function bam_plp_t bam_plp_init. Just after the line:

Else provide me with email and i will send all of it to you. I tried to upload but the binary is bigger than the allowed size.

Cheers
                            Thanks. I have sent a PM to you........

Comment

Hi,

Cheers
                              Hi Kenietz

I have send you a personal message

Regard

Comment

Originally posted by figo1019 View Post
                                Hi Kenietz

I have send you a personal message

Regard
                                Hi Kenietz

I've tried to implement what you've suggested by adding the extra lines to samtools-0.1.18, saving it as samtools_ndsm and re-compiling it by cd into the bin where I keep samtools, typing
                                make
                                make[2]: Nothing to be done for `lib'.
                                gcc -g -Wall -O2 -o samtools bam_tview.o bam_plcmd.o sam_view.o bam_rmdup.o bam_rmdupse.o bam_mate.o bam_stat.o bam_color.o bamtk.o kaln.o bam2bcf.o bam2bcf_indel.o errmod.o sample.o cut_target.o phase.o bam2depth.o -Lbcftools libbam.a -lbcf -lcurses -lm -lz
                                gcc -g -Wall -O2 -o bcftools call1.o main.o ../kstring.o ../bgzf.o ../knetfile.o ../bedidx.o -L. -lbcf -lm -lz
                                make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

I don't know what this means?

I continued with this command: samtools mpileup -m 100000 accepted_hits.bam > parsed.bam
                                [mpileup] 1 samples in 1 input files
                                <mpileup> Set max per-file depth to 8000

I do get a file parsed.bam, which I then used with the script.

Followed by this script which I've downloaded:
                                perl get_consensus_bam_batch_v3.pl -b parsed.bam -t transcripts.gtf > consensus_sequences
                                sh: samtools-0.1.18/samtools_ndsm: Permission denied

I do get a file with this in it:
                                E2_Tophat/parsed.bam;MDC000004.264:487-777;/Data_Analysis/E2_data/E2_Tophat/parsed.bam.v3.pileup

Clearly there's something wrong somewhere? Any pointers???

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses