No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNAseq experimental design

Hi everyone,

I am new to RNAseq analysis and am making preparations for the design of an RNAseq experiment to determine the differentially expressed long non-coding RNAs between virus-infected and uninfected cells in culture.

I would greatly welcome comments on what is optimal for the following or indeed what else I should be considering:

1. RNA prep with DNase I (on-column or in solution digestion?)
    I am using Direct-zol RNA prep from Zymo Reserach with on-column DNAase I digestion.
    2. the library prep
    Illumina TruSeq stranded mRNA library prep kit is the plan. Is oligo-dT capture okay?
    3. what platform is best?
    HiSeq and fast run mode was suggested
    4. what number of reads/per biological replicate is needed
    Is 3 biological replicates and 10 M reads per biological replicate enough?
    5. single read or paired end reads
    Single end is okay?
    6. read length
    >75?

I would be extremely grateful if members could please recommend what kits are best suited to the task as well: Illumina kits? (library preparation kit and ribosomal RNA depletion?) to maximise the chances of success to detect differentially expressed long non-coding RNA transcripts.

Many thanks for your time and expertise and it really is greatly appreciated,

Fitzcarraldo

Most of these questions are going to be answered based on your budget and the scale of your experiment.

If you want to look for rare transcripts, higher sequencing depth per sample will be more important. If you plan on doing lots of samples with many replicates then you may be less interested in reads per sample.

If your goal is purely to look at lncRNA, oligo-dT capture may not be ideal as many - perhaps even most - lncRNA are not polyadenylated. I've never tried it but ribosomal depletion is a popular alternative.

If you dont care about costs or time and you're using a highseq 1500 or 2500, then high output mode > rapid run mode because you'll get more reads per lane. There are newer "better" Illumina platforms but I dunno what's available for you or if your institution has troubleshooted the new platforms well enough to trust them.

Paired-end sequencing might be more ideal for you because lncRNA often have hella splice variants and you'll want to read through more than one exon to see those.

If possible, first do a trial experiment and analyze the sequence data before preparing all of the libraries to avoid wasting lots of money building bad libraries or sequencing lots of ugly data. You can even sequence this trial run at a higher depth than usual, then see what happens when you down-sample to different read depths to try to optimize sequencing saturation.

Comment

Originally posted by hideandSEQ View Post
      Most of these questions are going to be answered based on your budget and the scale of your experiment.

If you want to look for rare transcripts, higher sequencing depth per sample will be more important. If you plan on doing lots of samples with many replicates then you may be less interested in reads per sample.

If your goal is purely to look at lncRNA, oligo-dT capture may not be ideal as many - perhaps even most - lncRNA are not polyadenylated. I've never tried it but ribosomal depletion is a popular alternative.

If you dont care about costs or time and you're using a highseq 1500 or 2500, then high output mode > rapid run mode because you'll get more reads per lane. There are newer "better" Illumina platforms but I dunno what's available for you or if your institution has troubleshooted the new platforms well enough to trust them.

Paired-end sequencing might be more ideal for you because lncRNA often have hella splice variants and you'll want to read through more than one exon to see those.

If possible, first do a trial experiment and analyze the sequence data before preparing all of the libraries to avoid wasting lots of money building bad libraries or sequencing lots of ugly data. You can even sequence this trial run at a higher depth than usual, then see what happens when you down-sample to different read depths to try to optimize sequencing saturation.
      Thank you so much for your detailed response! It has been up on my wall here while I cleared other work then I realised I had never actually thanked you!

Can I please ask is it sensible to consider a company to handle the data analysis as this is a big bottleneck for me. Novogene was mentioned as a reputable service provider. Many thanks in advance.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses