No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heatmap with replicate/triplicate data sets in R

Hi Everyone,

I have Control and Treated data sets that I have gone through HTSeq-counts and did differential expression gene analysis through EdgeR, DESeq, and DESeq2.

My pipeline is:

Tophat2 > HTSeq count > EdgeR, DESeq, or DESeq2

Samples:
    Control: Control_rep1; Control_rep2; Control_rep3
    Treated: Treated_rep1; Treated_rep2; Treated_rep3

I have generated heatmaps in R, but when the results show up with the key on the bottom showing each of the triplicates for Control and Treated Groups:

It looks like this:
    Control_rep1 | Control_rep2 | Control_rep3 | Treated_rep1 | Treated_rep2 | Treated_rep3

I was wondering if there is any method that I should follow to illustrate to combine all the Controls triplicates and Treated triplicates into two respective columns to just show Control and Treated on the bottom of the heatmap.

I hope to make it look like this in the heatmap:

Control | Treated

Many thanks.

EDIT: I was thinking of the following strategy:

1) I have the log2change values from all three methods.
    2) Would converting to Z scores work better?

Reading the literature and comments, my understanding of the z-score:

1. Convert the count/RPKM values of each gene into log values.

2. Calculate the mean and standard deviation of X gene log values in 20 lung tissues (suppose i have data for 20 samples).

3. For first lung tissue sample: (gene X log value - mean of log values of 20 lung tissues)/ standard deviation of log values of 20 lung tissues.

4. Now. i have the z-score for gene x in first lung tissue sample. Using the above protocol, i can convert all genes log values into z-score.

The question is the above protocol is correct or not, please advised.

Should i calculate the z-score using reads count or RPKM values.

Does these z-score really have meaning. The z-score COSMIC provide:

ID_SAMPLE SAMPLE_NAME GENE_NAME REGULATION Z_SCORE ID_STUDY
    1337808 TCGA-02-2483-01 SFMBT1 over 2.416 329
    1337808 TCGA-02-2483-01 SGCE normal -0.274 329

If i calculate the z-score using above approach, should i be able to calculate the z-score and find out whether the gene is over regulated or normal regulated .

Please advised how to proceed.

Thankx
    Source: https://www.biostars.org/p/144765/

Would something like this work?

Source 2: http://stats.stackexchange.com/quest...used-instead-o
    Last edited by Zapages; 05-01-2016, 05:22 AM.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
0 responses