No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• assembly strategies for repetitive dna

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some feedback on an assembly strategy of repetitive dna using Illumina 100-PE data.

I've seen some strategies, such as ALL-PATHS-LG, which utilize multiple libraries of increasingly larger insert size to resolve repetitive regions. For example, assembly of the potato genome (which is ~60% repetitive) used 7 libraries ranging from an insert size of 200 bp - 20,000 bp.

We're running a pilot on a few samples to see how well the assembly will be, but because of coverage issues, will only be creating 2 libraries per sample.

So here is my question:

Is it better to create the libraries with insert sizes that are close in range (ex. 200 bp and 500 bp) or large in range (ex. 200 bp and 5,000 bp)? I can see pros and cons of both, but wanted elicit some advice before going forward.

Thanks,

John

One more thing while I'm at it...

Has anyone used Telescoper (DOI:10.1093/bioinformatics/bts399)? If so, I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with it.

Comment

Assembly of repetitive DNA

The big question: what is repeating/how much is repeating? Sounds vaguely leninist.

One person who has experience with this is Matt Riley at U. Tennessee, at least in microbial genomes.

Anyway, if you have tandem repeats of a few bp, then read length is your big factor; if you have repeats of a gene, then you need jumps/paired ends. If you have repeats of gene clusters, you may need something more substantial. 40kb jumps are possible and published; PacBio reads are another option; an Optical Map may be the answer. Of course, you'll need to 'fill in' the map or fix the SNPs in the SMRT reads. Joint assemblies are performed by a number of groups; the folks at NCBI, the FDA, and UMD (Mihai Pop) are familiar with the strategies.

Ultimately, if you have the worst case scenario, some sort of scale-free nesting of repeats within repeats, you would need all these solutions combined.

Hope that points you toward some ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by bckirkup View Post
        The big question: what is repeating/how much is repeating? Sounds vaguely leninist.
        Leninist indeed

Thanks for your response...They are VERY helpful.

I'm interested in one chromosome which is probably a worst case scenario - variable sized microsatellites, minisatellites, transposable elements, and variable sized rDNA arrays. Quite frankly, it's a mess.

I'm not looking for a complete assembly, but the chromosome is ~40 Mb and I would like to generate scaffolds large enough to give me something to work with. Using a published illumina dataset (86 bp pe), I wasn't able to assembly anything larger than 1kb, although in non repetitive regions I was getting scaffolds as large as 400 Kb.

My goal is to predict functional motifs from the assembly (ex. TF binding sites, transposable element content, CNV in satellite sequences) and identify variation in this chromosome across populations.

Comment

Ugh. (sorry, I meant to say "What a challenging project!")

Regarding your initial question (close vs. large size differences in the two libraries), the larger difference will be more useful for assembly. The ideal is to have paired end read jumps that span the repeats, which delimits the number of copies in the intervening region. You can calculate transposable element content and satellite CNV by read depth (although their positions will be difficult/impossible to assign).

Note that coverage issues do not necessarily limit you to two library sizes. For assembly, it would be more useful to have additional jump libraries sequenced at lower depth. IIRC, ALLPATHS-LG sequenced large (10kbp) jump libraries at 1/25th the depth of the shorter-sized inserts. A similar hybrid approach may also be your best bet.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by HESmith View Post
            Ugh. (sorry, I meant to say "What a challenging project!")
            haha...indeed!

Thanks for your comments. This is making me thing starting with 2 libraries for the pilot (probably 250 bp and 1 kb) at a higher depth and then running another 2 libraries (5 kb and 10 kb) at a lower depth would be a good strategy.

Comment

Jumping libraries are a possibility, but the cost and difficulty to make the libraries are a consideration and there may be value in sequencing through the entire region. The current PacBio C2 XL chemistry averages 5kb read length with 10% reads 10kb+, max is usually ~20kb.

If you would like more information about potentially doing a PacBio library, we can discuss I can help make some introductions to labs in the area to get your challenging region sequenced. You can email me: akieu at pacificbiosciences.com

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
              0 responses