No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low yield with Ampure XP cleanup

Hi all,
    I am having some issues with my Ampure cleanup step and would love some troubleshooting help.

I'd say that every time I use the ampure beads (at 1.8 ratio) I lose about 50% of my product, which seems like A LOT. (I've tried my best to optimize the pcr conditions, but I think the biggest problem is that my template DNA is super crappy (literally - it is extracted from feces) and full of inhibitors.)

I'm already struggling to get enough ng of product made for NGS, so I'm pretty tired of losing it (and this high quality taq is expensive!) The beads expire in 2013. I make new EtOH every time. Might anyone have any idea about what could be going wrong??

That's quite a lot of loss for one single-sided Ampure cleanup. Bear in mind, though, that Ampure XP cleanup will eliminate DNA under a certain size, so is it possible that the DNA loss you're measuring is just primers/dNTPs/small fragments being removed from the mix? What method did you use to quantify your DNA pre- and post-cleanup?

Comment

What is your assay method for determining your mass of DNA at each step? Could you give us a particular example? That is pick a typical sample and go through the yield you have at each step. (Make sure to give us total mass recovered at that step, not just the concentration.)

If you are initially assaying the amount of DNA using UV spectrophotometry, it is likely you are overestimating the amount of DNA you have. Generally >50% (and often >90%) of the absorbance at 260 nm of the typical genomic DNA prep derives from stuff that is not DNA. (RNA, degraded RNA, phenol, etc.)

--
      Phillip

Comment

The protocol says that overdrying the beads can significantly decrease yield, have you tried using a shorter drying time?

Comment

What about the expiration date? I am generally curious if people have any experience with "expired" Ampure XP beads? I have been inadvertently using some which are just a couple of months out of date and have ordered fresh, but I'm wondering what the real shelf life is, as they seem to still be performing fairly well.

Comment

underdrying beads

Not getting all of the ethanol off the beads can also significantly reduce yields. make sure that you see small cracks and that the color lightens up. I have not had a problem with overdrying.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses