No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Per base sequence content, Illumina

Hello,
    I'm fairly new to analyzing sequencing data like this. I've noticed this pattern appear several times (both when I look at full runs, or individual samples within a single run).

Sequencer: Illumina NextSeq
    Kit: 71 x 10 x 10

I've processed untrimmed reads (though I've also tried trimming, and the same overall pattern appears). At ~38bp, I see a favoring(?) of "A" over "C", "G", or "T". This favoring continues, more-or-less, throughout the remainder of the read.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this pattern. Whenever I run FASTQC on my data, this metric shows up as a "WARN" or "FAIL" every time. I'm not sure what this might be due to. The material we are attempting to use is DNA (from lysate, plant material); not sure if that has an impact or not. Thanks in advance for any advice you all might have!
    Attached Files

It is difficult to say what is happening. It may be fine to use the data. If you have a reference then you could try aligning and see.

There was no known problem with this run correct?

Comment

No sequencing problems that I'm aware of. We've run ~5 sequencing runs, and I've noticed that, on all 5, this same pattern appears. When I map these raw reads to an ampli-ome, only ~50% of the reads map (and when I map them to the genome, the same amount map), so I don't think I'm dealing with off-target amplification. My guess right now is that we are dealing with a lot of dimers soaking up reads on the Illumina flowcell. But the fact that the Per-Base-Sequence-Content was consistently giving me this pattern made me think that maybe I'm dealing with something else. But, I'm not very sure. I was curious if anyone else had seen a pattern like this.

Comment

I think you're right about adapter dimers - after you sequence through the adapter and hit the flow cell you see overcalling of either A or G.

Comment

Ah, thank you!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses