No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioEdit file viewer for mac

Hi everyone,

Does anyone knows how to view (and print) BioEdit alignment files on a mac?
    I would be very happy if anything exists with the option to display same bases as a dot (it makes it much easier to spot mismatches).

These are fasta files (.fsa), I can open them in text mode but this is really not convenient for alignments :s

I tried eBioX, but the display/print options are very limited (cannot edit sequence title length or style; cannot print in landscape orientation; etc)

Thanks a lot for your help
    -a-

on Mac you could use Geneious to display the fasta. You may have to rename the file as .fasta (for nucleotide fastas at least)

another thing that could work for you is Consed, but it's a complicated procedure to install that.

other packages are macvector, vectorNTI (if that still exists), and seaview,

Comment

Thank you

I didn't try Geneious nor Vector NTI since they are not free... (oh and because I hate Vector NTI...)
      I didn't try Consed because of the reasons you mentioned
      As far as I remember, Macvector can't do what I want (I didn't double check)

However, although the graphics are terrible (I felt like I was back in the 80's), Seaview seem to do everything I need and even more...

Thanks a lot for the hint

Best
      -a-

Comment

The last time I used Geneious, which I admit was about 4 years ago now, it was free to academic users in stripped-down form. The stripped down form could do almost anything you could ever want, and would periodically (about one weekday per 2-4 weeks) would give you access to the full features.

I don't like some of the stretching and compressions it does with chromatograms, but it was overall a pretty solid mac/linux option.

I agree that VectorNTI is huge, unwieldy and is fairly useless. I'm glad seaview does what you'd like.

The last time I was using a mac regularly I would use a combination of Geneious and BioEdit (via a Windows virtual environment).

Comment

Originally posted by pag View Post
          The last time I was using a mac regularly I would use a combination of Geneious and BioEdit (via a Windows virtual environment).
          Well, yeah, we run BioEdit under WINE on mac but there are limitations... We can't print or access our NAS for instance... We can't open sequence files directly neither: we have to launch BioEdit and then select file->open...

Tx again,
          -a-

Comment

Apparently in Seaview you can't create a sequence over 5kb... (it crops the sequence if you try to paste more than 5kb)
            If you open a file (created with bioedit) containing sequences over 5kb, Seaview can handle that just fine...
            weird...
            -a-

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses