SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Illumina's kinetic exclusion amplification works BioKiwi Illumina/Solexa 2 07-26-2015 04:14 PM
FTR-Seq amplification free via Illumina vruotti General 1 05-12-2013 11:17 PM
Amplification of 500pg of RNA for illumina sequencing libraries katharinebca Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 07-02-2012 10:02 AM
PubMed: Quantitative bias in Illumina TruSeq and a novel post amplification barcoding Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 03-27-2012 02:20 AM
Whole-genome amplification prior to Illumina sequencing? Crawford505 Illumina/Solexa 24 03-20-2012 01:40 PM

Old 03-03-2020, 09:27 PM   #1
kaka87dn99

Default The default amplification sequence in Illumina

Dear all!

I want to sequence only one amplicon using Illumina platforms (I know that the deep is going to be crazy). I have very little experience on using this kind of platforms. Does anyone have experience on doing this? Does anyone know with protocol should I follow? Any hints and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
kaka87dn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
ajthomas

It sounds like you want to do something similar to 16S rRNA sequencing. That is a well-established protocol. I don't know what your amplicon is, but you can probably get some pretty good guidance from the 16S protocols out there. You would just need to replace the 16S primer sequences with your own.
ajthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
cmbetts

It depends on your amplicon length and what you're trying to learn about it.

If it's shorter than ~500bp, you can amplify it directly with PCR primers with flanking Illumina adapter sequences, but you'll need to use some of the trickery of 16S protocols to stagger the base composition so that base calling doesn't go to crap.
If your amplicon is >300bp and you don't care about assembling individual amplicons, it would be technically easier and possibly cheaper to just treat it like gDNA with either Nextera or a fragmentation/ligation TruSeq-esque protocol because you can ignore the base complexity issues.
For longer amplicons, your only option is the Nextera or TruSeq type approach described above because you can't get reads long enough to stitch across the full sequence.
cmbetts is offline   Reply With Quote