No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-Seq Library Prep from PAXgene RNA Blood Tubes

Hi all,

My group is starting an RNA-seq project from patient frozen blood stored in PAXgene RNA blood collection tubes. We have experience performing library preps on PBMCs and isolated monocytes using the Takara Bio SMARTer RNA-seq kits. For this project, we have heard that one issue that could arise is the globin gene counts after sequencing. Has anybody had any issues with this?

Right now, I am thinking about extracting RNA from the PAXgene tube using the QIAGEN PAXgene extraction kit, then using this kit: GLOBINclear Kit for globin mRNA depletion and then running the standard library prep kits we have in the past.

However, Illumina sells a library prep kit that removes globin mRNA in the library prep itself: https://www.illumina.com/products/by...na-globin.html

Does anybody have any experience with this kit?

Thanks for all your help!

A secret tip:

Much easier than any other solution.

Comment

Illumina kit is gold standard in this application if RNA quantity is not limiting. On the other hand performance of Qiagen kit varies and I would suggest to trial it before committing to use it.

Comment

Agree with @nucacidhunter. We were initially excited about the new Qiagen product but have also seen some odd performance issues...particularly when including globin-reduction probes. The Illumina TruSeq kit is solid. I've had good success with the NEBNext Ultra II Directional RNA kits with globin depletion. NEB also has a protocol for globin depletion followed by poly-A enrichment if you were interested in limiting transcript coverage to mRNAs.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I will look into the NEB kit and the Illumina!

Comment

There's also this paper that came out a few days ago which suggests you don't need to deplete globin at all if you're starting with Paxgene blood.

I'd probably err on the side of caution and go ahead with your depletion strategy It won't hurt.

Comment

Super informative paper! Thanks jteeee2!

Comment

GLOBINclear effectiveness

Hi gmassacc, did you end up going with the GLOBINclear kit in the end?

I'm using it for a project and have been having some difficulties getting it to work to a satisfactory level consistently. I'm intending to run it as past of an mRNA sequencing protocol from PAXgene blood RNA using the TruSeq mRNA library prep kit.

The main problem I'm encountering is when the wash solution is added, the bead pellet just refuses to disperse at all. I thought perhaps I could be leaving it dry for too long after I aspirate the binding buffer, but this doesn't seem to be the case as it happens even when I run 2 samples.

The end result is me losing 75-80% of my precious RNA, and getting poor OD ratios alongside it, mainly indicating salt contamination. I am very careful to remove as much wash buffer as possible but the salt still remains

I have previously ran this kit on very similar samples and had no problems, excellent recovery rate and little to no reduction in RINe.

Do you or anyone else have any tips on how to get this kit to work consistently?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses