Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A working command line for Illumina's iSAAC ?

I just got hold of the iSAAC aligner from Illumina, but it seems to use a very different type of command line than most of the other aligners I have used, particularly when specifying a FASTQ. Does anyone have a command line that has been working for them?

What problems occured? Did you read the output of
    ./bin/isaac-align --help

Comment

So I realized that the FASTQ names must be specifically named as lane1_read1.fastq lane1_read2.fastq

Now just trying to index the hg19 reference with isaac-sort-reference . Seems to be taking quite a long time

Comment

Originally posted by oiiio View Post
        Now just trying to index the hg19 reference with isaac-sort-reference . Seems to be taking quite a long time
        Or you could download it from Illumina. It is available along with the HiSeq Analysis Software.

Comment

Thanks I'm downloading it now, although I wonder if this download will finish before my indexing command...

Even though it looks like the downloadable ref is based on the same UCSC hg19 I am using, I can't help but feel a little loss of experimental control when it comes to comparisons against the other software I ran

Comment

After downloading the reference I'm now hitting this error:

2013-06-10 17:52:33 [0x11d36a0] __gnu_parallel:sort for 64000000 elements
            terminate called recursively
            terminate called recursively
            ./isaac-run.sh: line 5: 40176 Aborted (core dumped) isaac-align --reference-genome IsaacIndex/sorted-reference.xml -b isaac/ --base-calls-format fastq -m 12 --verbosity 3

Has anyone put a successful run through with Isaac yet?

Comment

Hi oiiio

You would need a lot more than 12GB memory. Try "-m 48" instead.

Thanks,

Come

Comment

Has anyone managed to get "isaac-align" to work stand-alone on the command line and if so on what OS?

"Isaac-align"er is one of the components of HiSeq Analysis Software (HAS) and I have managed to get it to work when run as a part of a HAS run (but only under SGE, no luck with LSF).

Trying to get it to work stand-alone has been an exercise (Oiiio: I could not get it to work with the options you noted, on individual files etc). I thought I had managed to to it to work using the following command line (on a rocks v. 5.4.2 cluster)

Code:
                isaac-align -b /Flow_cell_folder/Data/Intensities/BaseCalls -r /path_to/ISAAC_genomes/hg19/Homo_sapiens/UCSC/hg19/Sequence/IsaacIndex/sorted-reference.xml -o /output_dir -m 48
                It created binary demultiplexed files (*.dat) (ran for about 8 hours, this was a big flowcell) before it died with following error

Code:
                Error: boost::exception: Throw location unknown (consider using BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTION)
                Dynamic exception type: boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::current_exception_std_exception_wrapper<std::bad_alloc> >
                std::exception::what: std::bad_alloc
                [boost::tag_original_exception_type*] = St9bad_alloc
                Illumina tech support says that the aligner part from HAS is not meant to be run as a standalone program and they pointed me to an open source project (https://github.com/sequencing/isaac_aligner) where the aligner from HAS has been released as a "developer" version i.e. they provide no support. There is no documentation (and as far as I can tell, not all of the command line options seem to work) in the github package.
                Last edited by GenoMax; 07-12-2013, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Hi GenoMax,

if you managed to run it under HAS, why don't you use the command line generated by HAS? That command line can be found either on the standard output, or at the beginning of the log file "Logging/Isaac.stderr.txt" that you will find in the HAS output directory.

Regarding the specific behaviour that you observed when trying to run directly from the command line, there is clearly an issue with the memory settings, but it is difficult to diagnose without more information. Could you provide the output of:
                  Code:
                  ulimit -a
                  tail -n 9999 /proc/sys/vm/*
                  cat /proc/meminfo
                  and also the last couple hundred lines of stderr before the crash.
                  Thanks,

Come

Comment

Originally posted by craczy View Post
                    Hi GenoMax,

if you managed to run it under HAS, why don't you use the command line generated by HAS? That command line can be found either on the standard output, or at the beginning of the log file "Logging/Isaac.stderr.txt" that you will find in the HAS output directory.

Come
                    I could do that (I may give it a try) but the point was one should be able to use the aligner without having to worry about all other parts of HAS and options that need to go with it. I understand from our local FAS that isaac was developed with one aim and that was to finish alignments in the shortest time possible. I want to be able to point "isaac-align" to a set of sequence files (should not matter which flowcells they came from), an ISAAC reference genome and a few basic options to get aligned bam files.

If that is not possible (or is not in the scope of isaac package) then it would be best to have that spelled out clearly.

I am not sure if you are @Illumina/UK (part of the isaac development team?). If you are, then we could take this conversation temporarily offline to omit thread-clogging info that may be specific to problem I am noticing.

Comment

Has anyone had success with command-line isaac? I have a non-model organism I would like to push through this pipeline (ponderosa pine). If I make success, will try to post some commands here for future reference.

Comment

I will have to look through my results from back last year. I have since used HAS several time though only for human data.

Before you start be aware that ISAAC/HAS was designed to take over an entire server (using *all* hardware resources on it). It is not going to run on a cluster.

Comment

We had the command on this GCAT page work:

Comment

Is anyone running current git version? It still seems to be a problem running isaac-aligner on its own.
                            Currently it is always stuck here with memory issues (well, not necessarily the amount, I've tried to run on 512GB machines, nor limits).
                            isaac part of HAS is quite old.

Comment

@Sven: Are you getting an error or does it seem to just hang?

I have not successfully run isaac-aligner as a standalone app in the past (going to upgrade to the latest version from git now, thanks for the heads-up) since there was no support available.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses