No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cannot detect a deletion which is seen by IGV

Hi everybody,

I use samtools and bcftools 1.4.1 for variant calling. However, I cannot detect deletions for a specific position. In fact, when I visualize my data in IGV (by Broad Institute) I can see an obvious heterozygous deletion from T to no nucleotide (52% T, 45% - , 3% others) at 3294155th position of chr16 (hg19). However, samtools and bcftools cannot detect this deletion. What could be the reason for that? How can I modify my code shown below to call this deletion?

samtools mpileup -ABuvf ~/Desktop/Analysis/hg19/hg19.fa ${outpath}/sortedBowtieOut.sam -o ${outpath}/mpileup.vcf

bcftools call -v -c -O v -o ${outpath}/sortedBowtieOut_samtools_raw_variants.vcf ${outpath}/mpileup.vcf

Thanks, Kind Regards,

Samtools mpileup has its own INDEL correction, which may be influencing the results that you're seeing. You could try skipping this (option `-I´) and seeing if it changes the results.

Comment

I'd suggest trying a different variant caller. The one I wrote (callvariants.sh in the BBMap package) works very well for calling indels from Illumina data, in terms of concordance with what you see in IGV.

Comment

Thanks guys but neither of them worked. callvariants.sh gives an out of memory error :/

To test the ability of bcftools to detect INDELs, I generated a dummy data, which includes 100 forward and 100 reverse reads. Among these, 50% of the paired reads have a deletion on a specific position. bcftools still cannot detect such a pure deletion. How can I use/change parameters to make bcftools call such indels?

Regards,

Comment

Hello,

can you post a screenshot of IGV in this region? If I found it correctly, this is a position in a homopolymer run (11xT) which is typical not easy to sequence, align and discover a variant.

As Brian suggested try out another variant caller. My favorite is freebayes.

fin swimmer

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
          0 responses