Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion needed on Truseq vs Scriptseq

So quite simply, when doing the math, 48 bacterial RNA-seq samples (libraries) would cost over a thousand bucks more using Truseq + Ribozero, versus using ScriptSeq "complete" + Scriptseq "barcodes" + Lucigen's Failsafe PCR mix. (for this small core Illumina discounts don't even cover shipping).

This amount of money is significant to the researcher. But we haven't used the ScriptSeq and already have all the DUI's for the TruSeq kits.

Can I get a few opinions about TruSeq vs ScriptSeq? Could we safely use the ScriptSeq kits? Even if one does everything correctly, will these kits cluster about the same?

Thanks
    -pete

We have been using Ribo-Zero + ScriptSeq for years with success. Primarily for samples of human RNA (using Ribo-Zero GOLD or Globin-GOLD) but also a few samples of bacterial RNA (of course using the Ribo-Zero bacteria). I havnt tried any of the TruSeq RNA kits, but know that the method for strand-specificity differ, TruSeq is based on dUTP while ScriptSeq use tagged cDNA synthesis.
    A trick to save even more: The Ribo-Zero kits comes in high or low format for the same price, but the high kit contain app 2x reagent. So we purchases the complete kits in the high version and additional ScriptSeq kits to supply - and follow the low input protocol. Using 500 ng total RNA as input we can hence get two Ribo-Zero reactions out out each High Ribo-Zero reaction.
    If you are going to use all 48 ScriptSeq indexes, be aware that index 11 and 31 only have two mismatches to index 41. So use demultiplexing with no-mismatch option.
    Best, /Jakob

Comment

Thanks for the great advice Jakob.

Pete

Comment

Hi Pete,

Never used the Truseq Kit before, but our lab uses Scriptseq Complete Gold Epidemiology Kit + RiboZero when we make RNASeq Libraries. We use epidemiology kit since we are often working on metagenomic samples; the epidemiology kit removes rRNA for both the bacteria and the host.

Getting high quality Total RNA is difficult with metagenomic samples, but we have successfully made libraries/sequenced of lower quality RNA. Basically, if I see a 16S and 23S peak when QC'ing the total RNA, I can make a successful RNASeq Library. So if RNA Quality is a concern, I wouldn't worry about when using the Scriptseq Complete Gold Epidemiology Kit + RiboZero. High quality RNA works fine too. Our libraries cluster just fine on either the NExtSeq or the Hiseq 2500/4000 when we sequence them.

Originally posted by JakobHedegaard View Post
        A trick to save even more: The Ribo-Zero kits comes in high or low format for the same price, but the high kit contain app 2x reagent. So we purchases the complete kits in the high version and additional ScriptSeq kits to supply - and follow the low input protocol. Using 500 ng total RNA as input we can hence get two Ribo-Zero reactions out out each High Ribo-Zero reaction.
        If you are going to use all 48 ScriptSeq indexes, be aware that index 11 and 31 only have two mismatches to index 41. So use demultiplexing with no-mismatch option.
        Best, /Jakob
        I completely agree with the above. Good points to keep in mind. Both the "Low Input" and "Regular Input" protocols have worked equally as well for us. To alleviate that indexing issue, you could just make 4 smaller 12 sample pools, instead of making a big 48 sample pool and sequencing across multiple lanes. We usually sequence a 12 sample pool on one Hiseq Lane.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

UCan'tBcereus: Your post could not have been better timed. We have a client with some very precious samples that show both peaks, but the RIN scores are very low. We were considering turning down the sequencing request, but if what you say is true, we might be able to pull this off.
          Thanks very much!

-p

Comment

Originally posted by hoytpr View Post
            UCan'tBcereus: Your post could not have been better timed. We have a client with some very precious samples that show both peaks, but the RIN scores are very low. We were considering turning down the sequencing request, but if what you say is true, we might be able to pull this off.
            Thanks very much!

-p
            Hi Pete,

Glad to be of help. Also, just to be clear, when I say successful library prep, I mean that the Library looks good and sequenced/clustered well. As far as actual quality of data, I cannot be sure, since I do not analyze the data myself. But there were no complaints from the labs where we made libraries with poor quality RNA that we worked on.

As far as RIN scores, sometimes the actual number could be off. The RIN seems to be less accurate since we switched to the Tape station. Having both of the peaks was a better indicator of library success, rather than a hard number of something like >3 RIN.

Feel free to ask any more questions!

Comment

Right, I suspect the final data might be affected, but in this case, the project was probably at least a year old. We just want to help.

We have both a Tapestation and 2100 and they tend to agree with each other, but after several decades, I can usually just "look" at an RNA and tell if it'll sequence regardless of the RIN score. The spec readouts are good for detecting contaminants though.

Thanks again.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses