• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a question in using Flux Simulator

I am using Flux Simulator to simulate RNA-Seq experiment, and after running

flux-simulator -p /HS_simu1.par

I got the following error message:

[ERROR] Error while preparing sequences: Problems reading sequence GL000191.1: pos -1, len 171, check whether chromosomal sequence exists / has the correct size

Can I know which file I should check for chromosomal sequence? Thanks!

I have just had a similar problem with Flux Simulator - I think this problem is caused by a transcript (in your ENSEMBL(?) GTF) that belongs to GL000191.1 "non-chromosomal" contig, while you only provided Flux with "chromosomal" fasta files. The easiest way to solve it is to filter all the "non-chromosomal" annotations from the GTF, or you can add the "non-chromosomal" fasta files.

Comment

Originally posted by alexdobin View Post
      I have just had a similar problem with Flux Simulator - I think this problem is caused by a transcript (in your ENSEMBL(?) GTF) that belongs to GL000191.1 "non-chromosomal" contig, while you only provided Flux with "chromosomal" fasta files. The easiest way to solve it is to filter all the "non-chromosomal" annotations from the GTF, or you can add the "non-chromosomal" fasta files.
      Thank you alexdobin for the suggestions! Can I know how you solved this problem (i.e. modifications of the GTF file...)?

Comment

Since I did not need annotations on non-chromosomal scaffolds, I simply removed all the non-chromosomal entries from the GTF file. For ENSEMBL GTF, the chromosomes are 1-22,X,Y,MT, so you could simply do:
        grep ^[0-9XYM] ENSEMBL.gtf > ENSEMBL.chrOnly.gtf

On the other hand, if you want to simulate RNA-seq from non-chromosomal scaffolds, you will need to downolad the "nonchromosomal" fasta file from ENSEMBL (e.g. ftp://ftp.ensembl.org/pub/release-72...omosomal.fa.gz), split the file into separate fasta files for each of the scaffolds, and add these fasta files to the GEN_DIR directory.

Comment

I've run into a similar problem with whole chromosomes. At the time I assumed the simulator may try to grab sequence past the end of a chromosome when there are genes near the end of a chromosome. My simple workaround was to pad the end of each chromosome sequence with enough N's to accommodate my desired read size.

It's possible the same solution would work with contigs/scaffolds if you don't want to eliminate them from your simulations.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
            Yesterday, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses