No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• merging bwa alignments

Hello,
    I am using bwa to map solid data to the mouse genome, but get a segmentation fault while running bwa aln. If I separate the genome into 2 halves, it works all right, so I assume that the segfault was a memory problem. My question is: Is there a way to merge the result of mapping to 2 halves of the genome?

I have a similar question about dividing the reads into smaller subsets, while using the full database.

I appreciate any help on this.

I've been doing BWA alignments and merging them using picard-tools "MergeSamFiles.jar"

Comment

merging files which map reads to separate parts of the genome

Thank you for you response. I have also used samtools merge.

As I understand it, bwa eliminates reads that map to more than one place in the genome. Since my 2 files involves mapping reads to separate halves of the genome, reads that are mapped in both files should be eliminated. Does the merge process recognize this?

Comment

No it does not.

Comment

One should never split the genome. Split the read set. It is true for essentially all NGS aligners.

Comment

Well, the reason I split the genome was that I ran into a segmentation fault running "bwa aln -c" against the entire mouse genome. I was able to isolate this to a single read. I tried it against various genomes, and it worked all right for smaller genomes, eg human mrna and half the mouse genome.

Here is the problem read:
            @559_9_257_F3
            GNANNNGGGGGNNNNNCNNNAGCACGAGAANNNNCGNGNGNTNCNNCNN
            +
            2!'!!!)*'&)!!!!!&!!!')&&.*)&+'!!!!(,!&!)!'!&!!&!!

I also assumed that there must be a way to postprocess a merged file from a split genome, although I haven't done it yet.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses