No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-Cufflinks analysis of a single transcriptome, no comparison

Hi!
    Say you have a new cell type thats never been RNA sequenced, but from a known species. How you go about it after Tophat2->Cufflinks?

I started out sorting by FPKM just to see whats high/low/not expressed.

Now I want to facilitate further analysis for my supervisor:

a. Using bioDB.net, finding protein/non-protein coding genes
    b. GO terms for each gene
    c. Ideas?

Problem is that bioDB.net has an input limit far below the number of genes I have...

Also, is there a way of making each gene symbol into a hyperlink (in Excel) directly to a search in PubMED gene for this gene? Or equal/better solution?

Thank you so much!

Cufflinks produces GTF files for the discovered transcripts, which can be used to generate a transcriptome using the reference genome. There are various programs for discovering protein sequences and annotating de-novo transcriptomes (e.g. FrameDP or Blast2GO), and for lifting annotations from other transcriptomes (e.g. RATT).

Comment

Ok, thanks!

But its from mus musculus, only single-cell not charachterized yet.

Comment

Do you have reason to believe that the transcript annotation for a single cell from Mmus will differ from that of the reference Mmus transcriptome? You might get different transcripts expressed, but I would find it odd if the annotation were different.

Comment

I have no reason to believe the annotation is different.

I ran Cufflinks with mm10 GTF and with novel discovery.

A also compared to two other single cell types: Nerve and Epithelium, using Cuffdiff.

Question is what I do from here?

Sorry, its my first time working with "just see whats going on in this cell" type of study.

Comment

Ah, right. Something that people have asked me to do following on from this in a similar situation is some form of enrichment analysis:

http://www.broadinstitute.org/gsea/msigdb/index.jsp [gene set enrichment]
            http://www.bioconductor.org/packages...tml/goseq.html [GO enrichment]

Also loading tracks in a genome browser can be helpful, if there are particular genes of interest.

edit: there's also CummeRbund, which is the next step of the Tuxedo suit.
            Last edited by gringer; 03-20-2014, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Ok, thanks, but remember its not differential gene expression Im worried about now. Only learning about the gene expression in the cell.

Btw, do you know how to not use the "XLOC" ids for transcripts? They are non-informative to me.

I have used mm10 GTF as well as a GTF made by Cuffmerge.
              Last edited by sindrle; 03-20-2014, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses