SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Ion Torrent

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ion Torrent vs MiSeq vs GS Junior razibus General 39 11-08-2015 12:45 PM
Alternative (cheaper) reagents for Ion Torrent PGM sequencer Gorbenzer Ion Torrent 10 11-30-2013 04:20 PM
Ion Torrent PGM multiplexing eosin Ion Torrent 7 03-29-2012 05:00 PM
Ion Torrent/MiSeq Ordering riegs General 3 12-28-2011 07:30 AM
Ion Torrent PGM data with Mosaik-aligner Magnus Bioinformatics 0 05-19-2011 03:59 AM

Old 09-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #81
thomasblomquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by krobison View Post
Huh??? That's backwards from my experience; did you mean "Ion" where you wrote "Illumina"?
Oops. Yes. Ion has the homopolymer issue.

Illumina is awesome data quality. Still we will keep Ion torrent for lower volume quicker turn around for more acute dx panels.
thomasblomquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #82
ymc

Is Proton 2 chip a vaporware?
ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #83
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc View Post
From what I have heard it is getting released soon, they say end of this year, so maybe Feb next year . But the reps are saying 40-50 Gb of sequence now instead of the 100 Gb sequence it was initially marketed as. And read lengths are still only 100 bp instead of the 400 that marketing was spouting. It is getting more and more disapointing (since my lab has a proton).
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #84
scbaker
Shawn Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
From what I have heard it is getting released soon, they say end of this year, so maybe Feb next year . But the reps are saying 40-50 Gb of sequence now instead of the 100 Gb sequence it was initially marketed as. And read lengths are still only 100 bp instead of the 400 that marketing was spouting. It is getting more and more disapointing (since my lab has a proton).
I agree with Jeremy that this probably isn't 'vaporware', but it has definitely been delayed (10 months and counting...) In terms of output, Ion Torrent is now officially saying it will launch with 32Gb of output per run, climbing to 64Gb over a ~12 month period.
scbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #85
Zaag

Yeah IonTorrent is saying that for a year now. IonTorrent says a lot of things, but do they deliver? How is the Avalanche coming along?
Zaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #86
Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaag View Post
Yeah IonTorrent is saying that for a year now. IonTorrent says a lot of things, but do they deliver? How is the Avalanche coming along?
Ion Isothermal Amplification Chemistry (formerly known as Avalanche)

This new, single-tube chemistry delivers isothermal amplification of 500 bp library templates in as little as 30 minutes. The complete template preparation process takes just two hours, and will enable the industry's fastest benchtop sequencing workflow, by far.
- See more at: http://ioncommunity.lifetechnologies....BTJ8mb0N.dpuf
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #87
ajthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaag View Post
It was announced today at Ion World that customers will get early access to Avalanche next month with general availability early next year.
ajthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:54 AM   #88
ymc

Good to see that they are kicking. Hope it all ends well and we see something good delivered in Q1
Old 10-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #89
Zaag

I'll keep my fingers crossed! Good to see that the avalanche is (finally) becoming available..
Zaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #90
chrisjaren

These are online presentation and i like so much..I seen many design studio but there is not for your presentation...thanks
Old 01-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #91
Buzz0r
Sequenizer

could post any links considering those avalanche news or presetnations?
Buzz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #92
ucpete

Can anyone update this question? We have a HiSeq2500 and a MiSeq here, and we have the opportunity to obtain an IonTorrent PGM essentially for free (we have to pay capital depreciation costs, but nothing else). Is taking this free* PGM even worth it considering we already have a MiSeq? Are there any applications for which the PGM shines over the MiSeq? Or will it just sit there because the MiSeq is as good as or better than the PGM across the board?

Last edited by ucpete; 01-28-2014 at 04:12 PM.
ucpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #93
AllSeq
Registered Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucpete View Post
Are there any applications for which the PGM shines over the MiSeq?
The PGM is known for speed, decent read lengths (up to 400b) and not dealing too well with homopolymers. There's new chemistry on the horizon that might significantly improve the homopolymer issue.

Should you get one (more or less for free)? If you highly value quick runs (<1 day instead of 24 hours) and have lots of small targeted sequencing projects, it might be a good choice to add to your panel of instruments.

But nothing is truly free - be sure you have the time both to teach yourself how to use this new platform and to support it/keep it running.
AllSeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #94
ucpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSeq View Post
The PGM is known for speed, decent read lengths (up to 400b) and not dealing too well with homopolymers. There's new chemistry on the horizon that might significantly improve the homopolymer issue.

Should you get one (more or less for free)? If you highly value quick runs (<1 day instead of 24 hours) and have lots of small targeted sequencing projects, it might be a good choice to add to your panel of instruments.

But nothing is truly free - be sure you have the time both to teach yourself how to use this new platform and to support it/keep it running.
Thank you for your quick answer -- it's very much in line with my thinking. One of our primary concerns was about support and maintenance costs (rather than monetary costs). We do a fair amount of amplicon sequencing but our MiSeq isn't overbooked. We will likely be doing more of it in the near future, and potentially in GC-rich microbes, so the homopolymer issue was a concern too (and was one of the reasons I was turned off by the 454 data I analyzed in grad school -- too many indels -- though I realize things are always improving). Sounds like we'll really have to think this out. Do you have any references on the new chemistry? I'm all up-to-date with Illumina's R&D efforts but haven't heard much from Life. Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #95
AllSeq
Registered Vendor

Happy to help. The new chemistry is called Hi-Q. An early access program for it was announced at ASHG, with a full launch expected around July this year. In theory it's already available to PGM customers (via the early access program), but I haven't heard much about it since the original announcement. You can read more about it here: http://ir.lifetechnologies.com/relea...leaseID=798937
Old 01-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #96
ucpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSeq View Post
Happy to help. The new chemistry is called Hi-Q. An early access program for it was announced at ASHG, with a full launch expected around July this year. In theory it's already available to PGM customers (via the early access program), but I haven't heard much about it since the original announcement. You can read more about it here: http://ir.lifetechnologies.com/relea...leaseID=798937
Boom! Thanks again! I'm guessing we'll have another update come AGBT next month (unfortunately I'm on the waiting list...).
Old 10-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #97
ymc

Any updated answer to my question posted a year ago???

Old 10-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #98
AllSeq
Registered Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc View Post
Any updated answer to my question posted a year ago???

Well, the latest is 'early access in early 2015'. Probably not vaporware, but definitely not the "HiSeq killer" it was supposed to be. Too little, too late.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #99
Buzz0r
Sequenizer

lets see what comes new from IT on ASHG, I know Illumina will come with some more things but all of them have ben announced previously. Last thing i heard from a customer was that P2 will be around 20Gb of output so way below a killer for a Hiseq, NextSeq or a MiSeq.

Much more interesting is the bench top from CG/BGI and whatever Quiagen will release at some point for the clinical sector but also there i have no news (maybe All Seq has?? )
Buzz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #100
genseq

Pyrosequencer BIGIS-4 (made in China):
http://english.big.cas.cn/ic/ip/2012...924_91378.html
genseq is offline   Reply With Quote