SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Agencourt Ampure XP beads Sylv General 6 10-17-2016 10:44 PM
Different band size before and after purification with Agencourt AMPure ElenaCH General 1 04-02-2016 07:49 PM
Illumina Sample Purification Beads vs AMPure XP Beads JER Illumina/Solexa 2 03-29-2015 01:36 AM
Ampure XP beads Etherella Illumina/Solexa 4 10-16-2013 05:05 AM
Agencourt Ampure purification kit - exp date ntremblay Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 03-06-2012 03:41 AM

Old 10-13-2016, 04:41 AM   #1
Sylv

Default Problems using Agencourt AmPure XP beads.

Hi.
I am testing some DNA samples for doing ddRAD sequencing, and I have a problem.
After restriction digest, I purify the reaction using Agencourt Ampure XP beads. When eluting the DNA in water, the beads are stuck to the wells, and very difficult to resuspend.

Have anyone experienced the same problem, and have som ideas as to what causes this? I was thinking the beads have been drying to long, but drying them for shorter time did not make any difference. A pH problem should affect binding of DNA to the beads, and not stick the beads to the wells right??

I hope someone have some advice for me
Sylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:00 AM   #2
thermophile

You could try vortexing, I've never had beads stick so firmly that they wouldn't go back into solution with a quick vortex. I'm not sure its necessary though, the DNA should elute off as long as they are in contact with the water
Old 10-13-2016, 06:14 AM   #3
jdk787
josh kinman

The BSA in your digestion will cause your beads to get sticky and clump together. This shouldn't hurt your yield as long as you are able to get them fully resuspended.
jdk787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #4
adam.geber

What volumes are you working with? Diluting your sample may help with clumping produced by BSA or other components of your digest.

How long are you drying your beads for? Have you tried doing additional ethanol washes? If you're vortexing, are you then spinning down your elution volume before placing it on the magnet to prevent droplets from coating the sides of your wells?

As jdk787 said, though, this is only a problem if you have reduced yield or bead carryover.
adam.geber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #5
Sylv

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.geber View Post
What volumes are you working with? Diluting your sample may help with clumping produced by BSA or other components of your digest.

How long are you drying your beads for? Have you tried doing additional ethanol washes? If you're vortexing, are you then spinning down your elution volume before placing it on the magnet to prevent droplets from coating the sides of your wells?

As jdk787 said, though, this is only a problem if you have reduced yield or bead carryover.
We start out with 500ng DNA in 35Ál, and add 15Ál restriction mastermix so a total of 50Ál. 75Ál beads are then used for purification.
The beads are dried for 5 min. Illumina protocol says at least 15 min, but distributer of the beads says that is way to long.
I don't vortex, but use a shaker for mixing. That has been enough before, but this time I basically had to scrape the beads off with the pipette tips.

BSA in the cutting reaction?...Thanks for making me aware of that.

Last edited by Sylv; 10-13-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Sylv is offline   Reply With Quote