No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revoking a Patent query

Dear Biological Scientists

I submitted a PhD thesis report in Cambridge University dating July 2008 https://1c4016a7-a-7221ba2e-s-sites....attredirects=0 . A patent on similar ideas were filed as priority date one month later by another group in Europe on August 2008 http://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/WO2010018196 ,

Do you think that the PhD thesis submission of one month earlier can be considered as an argument to revoke the other patent ? You can also send me private message to my email. My email can be found from my website www.tinyurl.com/abinarain .

Regards,

Narain

Wrong forum, seek legal advice, not advice from biologists and bioinformaticians.

Comment

My understanding is that that would constitute "prior art". Of course, if your thesis wasn't immediately public then that might change things (I don't know how it works in Cambridge, but for me there was a lag between submitting the thesis/receiving the degree and things appearing online). You'd really need to talk to a patent or IP lawyer, of which I rather doubt there are any on this site.

Having said that, this sort of situation isn't that uncommon. There are often groups working on the same thing independently.

Comment

Originally posted by narain View Post
        Dear Biological Scientists

I submitted a PhD thesis report in Cambridge University dating July 2008 https://1c4016a7-a-7221ba2e-s-sites....attredirects=0 . A patent on similar ideas were filed as priority date one month later by another group in Europe on August 2008 http://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/WO2010018196 ,

Do you think that the PhD thesis submission of one month earlier can be considered as an argument to revoke the other patent ? You can also send me private message to my email. My email can be found from my website www.tinyurl.com/abinarain .

Regards,

Narain

In my **opinion**. It seems their patent is a specific species and set of mutations, whereas your thesis(which I skimmed) is a generalization across many species, not including the one they used. I suspect if you had a different set of mutations in a different species, you would be able to argue about the generality of their claims if they made any, based on your previous work, however you may not be able to void that specific patent. In other words general theories, don't preclude specific purpose inventions.

On another note, it is kind of weird that you point out your freshly minted novel thesis was so close to this other research.

Comment

@rskr

I have clearly stated that it is identified the panB gene is feedback controlled, and so we can do site-directed-mutagenesis (SDM) at panB gene to remove this deregulation. This method can be applied to any panB gene behaving this feed-back control. I also proposed some more techniques.

@dpryan

Well, I had a fight with my supervisor, so it is likely that my supervisor or someone from my committee sold the ideas to them! Though this is difficult to prove, what is legal to prove is that my thesis submission date is earlier than their patent priority filing date. Also my thesis submission date is July 2008, whereas the patent filing date is one year later in August 2009 !
          Last edited by narain; 07-22-2013, 11:12 PM.

Comment

If I were you, I'd think more carefully what I post, and under what names. Employers do google people's names, you know (and yours is trivial to connect to the posts you've made here). You're basically sabotaging your future job prospects, I mean, according to your posts you've had disputes in basically every place you ever worked at. How do you think prospective employers will feel about this? Also what Bukowski said..
            Last edited by rhinoceros; 07-22-2013, 11:54 PM.
            savetherhino.org

Comment

Well, there is too much that I have lost in those 3 institutions than what I will be gaining from my next job switch. What do you mean by every place ? I worked in more than 10 companies till now in my short span of career, and I have listed only 3 here where I think I made major contributions which were not recognized appropriately. I also worked at Los Alamos labs, IBM Austin, BCGSC Vancouver, Newcastle University, Granta Design Cambridge, ICGEB Delhi, JNU Delhi, and some more places where I did not have any problems.

With regard to what @Bukowski said, though I take his advise seriously, but going for legal advice will cost me money! and a lot! Over here, I am sure I am not the first person to get into such problems, so others can help me from what they learnt from experience.
              Last edited by narain; 07-23-2013, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by narain View Post
                @rskr

I have clearly stated that it is identified the panB gene is feedback controlled, and so we can do site-directed-mutagenesis (SDM) at panB gene to remove this deregulation. This method can be applied to any panB gene behaving this feed-back control. I also proposed some more techniques.
                !
                Thinking about it again, it seems that if you specified the gene sequence, that that would be sufficient even though it was in a different species. I think that is how Monsanto is able to keep glycosophate resistance protected.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                0 responses