No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-weight bioanalyzer fragments after PCR

Hi Everyone,

We've been doing a dual-SPRI size selection prior to library prep to try to restrict our fragments to 200-500bp (hoping to sequence PE 100bp on a HiSeq 3000). After this size selection, our fragments typically look like this:

After library prep (using a Kapa LTP library prep kit) our bioanalyzer results typically look something like this:

These are from a 50uL PCR reaction in which we're using 2.5uL of each primer (i5 and i7) at 5uM. We're using 6 cycles of PCR. The input template DNA is 15uL at anywhere from 15 to 50 ng/uL.

Questions:
    1. Anyone care to speculate what that fat tail of junk is starting at about 600bp? My instinct is that these are fragments where the library fragments are priming each other (overamplification symptoms), but I also think I'm not doing too many cycles and that I probably have enough primer?
    2. Anyone have any idea if these are suitably sized for a HiSeq 3000/4000?

Thanks very much!
    Last edited by atcghelix; 08-25-2015, 06:16 PM. Reason: Added amount of input DNA in PCR reaction

The tail is consistent with overamplification, especially if this is after dual SPRI, which should have removed it. But it's hard to answer whether you're doing the right number of cycles, as I haven't used your kit and you didn't say how you quantified your starting template.

I'd be nervous about sequencing it. If it's overamplified, I've had bad results from overamplified libraries (low % usable reads). If it's actually just good library products that happen to be too large, the limit for bridge amplification is somewhere around 1000 bp so there's a lot of junk in there that won't cluster.

If this is a precious library and you can't just start over, I guess you could try redoing the high-MW SPRI exclusion to see if you can get rid of the long tail. My guess is you can't because it's not actually high-MW, just ssDNA that migrates slowly in the Bioanalyzer due to secondary structure.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Starting template was quantified using a quant-it dsDNA assay kit (broad range) on a PerkinElmer Victor plate reader (comparable to qubit).

The sample is not precious--we're just trying to dial in our protocols at the moment to be compatible with the HiSeq 3000. So I can experiment some more in the next week. Would you try less input DNA, more primers, or fewer cycles?

Comment

Originally posted by atcghelix View Post
        I also think I'm not doing too many cycles and that I probably have enough primer?
        To adjust primer amount you can run PCR reaction before clean up and look for small fragments in the same size as primers used. To identify primer peaks a no template reaction can be set up for comparison side by side.

Comment

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
          To adjust primer amount you can run PCR reaction before clean up and look for small fragments in the same size as primers used. To identify primer peaks a no template reaction can be set up for comparison side by side.
          Ah that makes sense. So you want to see some evidence of primer peaks after the PCR is finished?

Comment

That is easy way to optimise primer concentration in a reaction. One also should be aware of primer concentration range recommended by polymerase supplier.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses