Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Gen Sequencers Shipping with Servers?

Hi all.

So far as I can ascertain, the list cost for the main analysers are as follows:

454 - $500,000
    Solid - $600,000
    GA - $430,000
    Heliscope - $1.35 million

My question is whether these ship with servers or not? I have read the 454 does but I'm unsure about the others.

Thanks

The GA doesn't.

Comment

Are you asking about servers to perform data analysis (as opposed to just operating the instrument and collecting the raw data)? I am familiar with the Roche/454 GS-FLX and Illumina GA so I'll limit my comments to those instruments. Neither of these include a computer for performing downstream analysis on.

The GS-FLX instrument control computer is a 1U server (IBM at the time we purchased ours) running RedHat Linux. Besides operating the instrument and collecting the raw data this computer performs primary image analysis, spot finding and intensity measurement. It used to perform the base calling but with the advent of Titanium that is no longer possible. Scripts automate copying/moving the data to another computer when the run completes.

The Illumina GA (GAII, GAIIx) comes with a Dell Precision Workstation (I don't know what the current model is) running Windows XP. This computer runs the instrument control software and Real Time Analysis (RTA) software. RTA analyzes images to identify the spots, calculates intensity and background values and does base calling (as the name suggests) in real time. If you wish to retain the raw images they must be copied to a network storage location during the run; there is insufficient hard disk space on this computer to store the images from anything other than a small, single end run. Included software automates moving/copying images and analysis data to a network location.

Both companies offer pre-configured, turnkey solutions for analysis servers, for an additional cost of course. Here are links to Illumina's and Roche/454's offerings. It's kind of surprising that Roche actually displays the price for a big ticket item like this on their web page. It's listed for $31,500 (USD).

These are of course optional and you are free to build your own analysis system. This is what we have done, and I suspect have most of the folks out there.

Comment

Thanks for the answers

I see the Roche server comes with 4.5 TB of storage. I'm calculating that this kind of storage volume would be pretty useless for the Illumina GA IIx for example? What is a realistic storage capacity for a server to analyse this data? Are image files generally dumped after processing?

Sorry for all the questions

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          Yesterday, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses